Table of Contents
- 1 New York and New Jersey Area Had 14 US Naval Shipyards with Potential Asbestos Exposure
U.S. Navy veterans have an increased risk for asbestos-related diseases due to their exposure while constructing and repairing ships — the majority of which contained asbestos in many parts of the vessel. Many veterans and civilians who worked in one of New York area’s 14 naval shipyards have been diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Asbestos Exposure Shipyards
New York and New Jersey have one of the largest populations of Navy veterans and yardbirds (civilian Navy Yard workers) who are at a particularly high risk for mesothelioma and lung cancer due to their asbestos exposure while constructing, repairing, and maintaining ships at any one of the New York area’s 13 naval yards, including:
» List of ships constructed or repaired at Brooklyn Naval Yard
59th Street-Brooklyn, NY
Erie Basin-Brooklyn, NY
Bethlehem Steel Shipyard
» List of ships constructed or repaired at Bethlehem Steel, Staten Island
New York Shipbuilding
Coastal Drydock & Repair Company
Federal Shipbuilding & Drydock
» List of ships constructed or repaired at Federal Shipbuilding, Kearny
Port Newark, NJ-Annex
» List of ships constructed or repaired at Federal Shipbuilding, Newark
West Side / Highway Piers
Each of these yards was home to hundreds of different ships over the decades. Sadly, many naval service members and yardbirds performed jobs which put them at a higher risk of developing mesothelioma, including those who:
- Repaired, removed, or installed asbestos-containing equipment
- Worked in engine and boiler rooms, where
- Were employed as boiler operators, welders, pipe fitters, machinist mates, electricians, and shipfitters
These jobs were often performed in tight areas with poor ventilation and workers were rarely, if ever, provided with proper respiratory protection. This continued through the 1980s and many are now being diagnosed with mesothelioma.
ARDs Could Have Been Prevented
Thousands of Navy veterans and Navy shipyard workers have been diagnosed with mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases:
- Mesothelioma. This is a deadly, cancer associated with asbestos exposure. It affects the mesothelium, a thin membrane that covers and protects the internal organs of the body. Many victims aren’t diagnosed until decades after exposure. When they arediagnosed, the cancer has often progressed to a higher stage where treatment options are limited.
- Asbestosis. Debilitating and potentially-fatal lung tissue scarring caused by asbestos fibers.
These types of asbestos-related diseases could have been prevented if asbestos manufacturers, sellers, and distributors had warned the end-users of the dangers. However, they never did. Instead, they put profits over safety, and now innocent and hard-working veterans are suffering or have died.
Navy Vets & Civilian Counterparts May Be Entitled To Compensation
Navy veterans and their civilian counterparts who were injured due to asbestos exposure may be entitled to compensation for their injuries in the form of medical costs, medical monitoring, lost wages, physical and emotional pain and suffering and more.
Belluck & Fox, LLP, is an experienced mesothelioma law firm with more than 20 years of experience. If you or a family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma or lung cancer, contact Belluck & Fox, LLP, to analyze your situation and determine your legal options against an asbestos manufacturer, distributor, or seller.