Daniel Belzil is an insurance coverage associate at Belluck & Fox, LLP. He joins us with experience as a policyholder-side coverage litigator, representing insured parties seeking coverage from insurance companies. He has a proven record of devising creative and effective coverage theories which culminate in favorable settlements for clients. At Belluck & Fox, LLP, Daniel works on investigating and litigating insurance coverage issues in our asbestos cases. He also works on representing insureds in coverage actions against insurance companies.
Daniel is a zealous advocate who has six years of experience in litigating cases from inception through trial. He covers all types of third- and first-party coverage matters, including commercial and homeowners property policies, directors and officers (D&O), commercial general liability (CGL), crime fidelity bonds, property, pollution legal liability (PLL), errors and omissions (E&O), and aircraft hull.
His recent client representations include:
- Obtained favorable multimillion-dollar settlement on behalf of real estate developers in lawsuit in federal court against commercial property insurers for Hurricane Sandy claims after insurer denied coverage.
- Was a member of the trial team that obtained $20m verdict in federal court (S.D.N.Y.) against insurance agency for broker malpractice and negligence claims. Successfully defended post-trial motions and defended judgment and verdict on appeal in Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Vigorously litigated claims for breach of contract and breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing against well-known homeowners insurance company listed on the Fortune 100 list. Obtained highly favorable settlement on behalf of homeowner.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of mortgage servicing company under Crime Fidelity Bond issued by Lloyd’s of London after London insurers improperly denied coverage in connection with cyber fraud committed by hackers.
- Aggressively prosecuted dozens of litigations against insurance companies on behalf of policyholders in state and federal courts of New York, New Jersey, Texas, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Ohio, Delaware, and Florida to name a few.
- Advised numerous clients on drafting policy language tailored to meet their businesses’ specific risks.
Prior to his work in private practice, Daniel served as a trial-level and appellate judicial law clerk in New Jersey state and federal court (E.D.N.Y.).
Daniel currently lives between New York City and the Catskills with his wife and two young children and enjoys hiking and home renovation in his spare time.
- University of Calgary, B.A. (2008)
- Vermont Law School J.D., magna cum laude
- New Jersey (2013)
- New York (2015)
- S.D.N.Y (2016)
- E.D.N.Y (2016)
- Law Society of Ontario (awaiting admission)