Whether it’s a toy or talcum powder for your infant, a medical device for your grandmother, a surgical procedure, a toxic substance like asbestos, or part in your automobile, a dangerous consumer product can turn your world upside down in an instant.
Distributing a dangerous or defective product is a serious breach of the public’s trust, and those companies that produce and sell products in the United States have a legal obligation to sell safe products to consumers. When a company fails to uphold its obligation to the public and, in turn, endangers those who use its products, it should be held accountable.
If a defective product has caused serious harm to you or a loved one, the New York product liability lawyers at Belluck & Fox, LLP stand ready to fight for the justice you deserve. We will aggressively pursue compensation from those at fault, including any parties involved in the chain of distribution for the defective or dangerous product.
Our top NYC lawyers for personal injuries can help. Contact them today to discuss the details of your case and review all of your legal options for seeking compensation. Fill out our online form or call us now.
Examples of Dangerous Consumer Products
Some products sold in the United States are regulated by a variety of government agencies, including the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the Food and Drug Administration and the National Highway Safety Administration. These government agencies all have a series of checks and balances in place to evaluate product safety before — and after — products go to market. However, the system is far from perfect, and dangerous and defective products slip through the cracks. Many times it is because companies hide information from these agencies. Some of the common products associated with product liability cases and product recalls are:
- Dangerous Drugs and Defective Medical Devices: Competition among pharmaceutical companies and the drive for larger profits can sometimes lead to defective medical devices and dangerous drugs being put on the market before they have undergone adequate safety testing. These unsafe drugs and medical devices can put your life and the lives of your family and friends at risk, and the companies that produce and distribute them should be held accountable.
- Toys and Children’s Products: More than 250,000 toy-related injuries were treated in emergency rooms across the United States in 2014, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. In fact, the CPSC keeps a long list of recalled products for infants and children. These dangerous toys and defective products put some of our most precious loved ones’ lives at risk.
- Tools and Electrical Equipment: Faulty electrical equipment and inadequate warnings on power tools can cause injury to even the most experienced users. Even if a person is following all of the safety precautions, he or she can be seriously harmed due to manufacturing defects or unexpected dangers related to the product’s use.
- Automotive Equipment: Not all auto accidents are the fault of negligent drivers. In 2014, for example, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles attributed about 10,000 crashes to vehicular factors such as defective brakes and steering failures. Even if you purchased a car from someone else rather than buying it brand new, the manufacturer can still be held liable if you are injured due to faulty parts or automotive systems.
- Industrial Chemicals and Building Materials: Unfortunately, sometimes common industrial chemicals and building materials can expose people to serious health risks and dangerous diseases. For example, the chemical benzene — which is used in gasoline, glues, paints, cleaners, degreasers, detergents and other products — is a known human carcinogen that has been shown to cause leukemia. And asbestos — which can be found in a variety of household and industrial building materials — has been shown to cause the cancer mesothelioma.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured by a dangerous or defective product, you can trust the New York product liability lawyers at Belluck & Fox, LLP to aggressively pursue compensation for your injuries. Our experienced attorneys will explore every option for holding those at fault accountable.
Reasons to Call The Top Rated Personal Injury Attorneys – Get Help With Your Product Liability Accident Claim
- Highly recommended NYC product liability attorneys with more than 20 years of litigation experience
- Success in recovering more than $1 billion for people harmed by dangerous or defective products
- Committed to aggressively pursuing the best possible outcome for injured clients and their families
- Top-rated law firm with the resources to take on large corporations
Know Your Rights
You do not have to be the one who actually purchased the dangerous or defective product to bring a product liability claim. You also don’t have to be the original owner of the product. For example, product liability cases can apply to:
- Children who were injured by dangerous toys or defective products.
- Patients who were injured by dangerous drugs that were given to them.
- Passengers hurt in a car accident caused by a faulty part.
- People who borrowed or rented a defective tool.
Whatever the circumstances, if you have been injured by a dangerous or defective product, contact the New York product liability lawyers at Belluck & Fox, LLP immediately. We will review all the circumstances related to your product liability case and go over what legal options you may be able to take to pursue compensation.
Types of Product Liability Cases
When a person is injured by a dangerous consumer product, every party that played a role in bringing that product to market may be held responsible. This includes the company that manufactured the product, the product’s designer, the supplier of a defective part, the company that distributed the dangerous product, and even the retailer that sold it.
The New York City Bar outlines three types of product liability claims:
- Negligence: In this type of case, the manufacturer did not take the proper precautions to ensure the product’s safety or did not provide warnings about the danger the product may cause. As a result of that negligence, a person was injured by the dangerous product.
- Breach of Warranty: In this type of case, the manufacturer has either specifically expressed a warranty, or it is implied that a product is fit for a particular purpose. When a product does not live up to that warranty, and a person is injured as a result, those responsible for producing the dangerous product can be held liable.
- Strict Liability: In this type of product liability case, the focus is on the product itself and how it was dangerous, rather than on whether any parties involved in its distribution knew of the danger. It is important to note that if a person somehow contributed to his or her injury, such as by altering the product after purchasing it, the case can be compromised.
The product liability attorneys at Belluck & Fox, LLP have extensive experience dealing with cases involving dangerous consumer products in New York and throughout the county. Our attorneys believe in justice for people and families who have suffered injuries due to a product that should never have been sold to the public in the first place.
Case Types Include:
Contact Our New York Product Liability Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one has suffered a debilitating injury due to a dangerous or defective product, you should know that your time to file a claim in New York is limited. Contact the knowledgeable and dedicated attorneys at Belluck & Fox, LLP today to get started on your case.
At Belluck & Fox, LLP, our experienced lawyers have been professionally recognized for their work in product liability litigation. We have represented a number of victims of dangerous products and are proud to have won them the compensation they deserved.
Our product liability attorneys have dedicated their careers to fighting for the rights of people who have been injured by dangerous consumer products in New York and throughout the Tri-state area. We know the pain and suffering our clients are experiencing, and we will fight tirelessly for justice on their behalf.
If you believe that a defective device or dangerous product is to blame for your injury, contact one of our New York City product liability attorneys today. We will promptly review your case and go over all your legal options for seeking compensation. Get started on your case now by filling out our online form, or give us a call.