New York Construction Accident Lawyers on Your Side
Working at a construction site can be grueling, a hard job compounded by the ever-present risk of suffering an injury that could knock you out of work for days, weeks, months, or permanently. Add to that the complications of coordinating your work with dozens of subcontractors and tradesmen, and it’s easy to see how even a small oversight can cause a big accident.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured working in the construction industry, you need to speak with one of our skilled NYC construction accident lawyers as soon as possible. At Belluck & Fox, LLP, we have more than 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of injured people or their families and we cover all types of work injuries. Our law firm knows that you can’t afford to pay for someone else’s mistake on a work site ─ and you shouldn’t have to.
You Can Count on Your Dedicated Construction Accident Attorneys To:
Table of Contents
- 1 Construction Accidents FAQs
- 1.1 Q: Can I file a wrongful death claim if I lost a loved one in a construction accident?
- 1.2 Q: Can undocumented workers file claims for compensation if they are hurt on the job?
- 1.3 Q: How long will my construction accident claim take?
- 1.4 Q: How much is my construction accident claim worth?
- 1.5 Q: I was exposed to asbestos on a construction site years ago, and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma. Is it too late to pursue compensation?
- 1.6 Q: I was injured as a bystander at a construction site. How can I seek compensation for my injuries?
- 1.7 Q: Is workers’ compensation my only option after a construction site accident?
- 1.8 Q: What is the “Scaffold Law” and how could it apply to my case?
- 2 Who can be held liable for a construction accident that results in injured workers?
- 3 Types of Construction Accident Claims and Compensation
- 4 Call The Top Rated Personal Injury Attorneys at Belluck & Fox For Help With Your Construction Accident Claim
- 5 Common Causes of Construction Accidents
- 6 Common Construction Accident Injuries
- 7 How New York’s Scaffold Law Affects Construction Accident Claims
- 8 Let Our New York Construction Accident Attorneys Help You
- Provide a free, no-obligation consultation on your construction accident claim. We don’t charge for legal advice. We only charge legal fees if and when we secure compensation injured construction workers.
- Craft a smart legal strategy to demand maximum compensation. Our nationally recognized attorneys have recovered more than $1 billion for injured clients and their families over the years. We are experts in New York Labor Law and have extensive experience with construction accident cases.
- Treat you and your family with the compassion and respect you deserve. We pride ourselves on providing outstanding customer service. One client’s impression of firm partner Joseph Belluck: “He was first of all comforting … so I didn’t feel that my husband was just ‘one of many clients’ but that Joseph cared to find out who my husband was.”
Don’t let your employer or an insurance company tell you what do. If you have been seriously injured on the job, you need to discuss your case with our experienced New York construction accident attorneys. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Construction Accidents FAQs
Construction workers show up at the jobsite to make a living, but sometimes they wind up with their lives forever changed by gruesome accidents or even wrongful death. If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a construction site accident, you need the experienced and aggressive New York attorneys at Belluck & Fox.
Schedule a free consultation with our skilled legal team today. We will review the details of your case and map out a strategy to pursue maximum compensation for you.
Some of the questions we frequently answer from construction accident victims are:
Q: Can I file a wrongful death claim if I lost a loved one in a construction accident?
A: If your loved one was killed in a construction accident, you may be able to pursue compensation through a wrongful death claim.
Q: Can undocumented workers file claims for compensation if they are hurt on the job?
Yes. Undocumented immigrant laborers are given the same legal protections and paths to compensation as all their co-workers – as long as the worker did not provide false papers to the employer to get the job.
Q: How long will my construction accident claim take?
A: Most cases resolve within 9 to 12 months. Many claims will end with a settlement offer before a jury is seated. However, some settlements come in the courtroom. Then there are the cases that must be fought all the way to a final jury verdict or judgment.
Q: How much is my construction accident claim worth?
A: The amount of compensation we will demand in your case will be tied to a variety of factors, including the severity of the injury, the cost of medical care, the amount of injury-related expenses from rehabilitation, the loss of wages to date and expected loss of income, awards for pain and suffering if merited, and punitive damages if there was gross negligence or criminal wrongdoing.
Q: I was exposed to asbestos on a construction site years ago, and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma. Is it too late to pursue compensation?
A: If you have just been diagnosed with mesothelioma, even if you were exposed to asbestos decades ago, you have a right to pursue compensation from those companies that failed to warn you of the danger.
Q: I was injured as a bystander at a construction site. How can I seek compensation for my injuries?
A: People who are visiting or passing by construction sites have the right to pursue compensation if they are injured, and they should talk to an experienced New York construction accident attorney as soon as possible.
Q: Is workers’ compensation my only option after a construction site accident?
A: No. Your options for compensation will depend on the type of accident you were involved in and who was at fault.
- In New York, the “Scaffold Law” protects workers who suffer injuries from falls and other elevation-related injuries, allowing workers to seek compensation from contractors, owners, and their agents.
- If your accident was caused by dangerous equipment or a defective part, you may pursue compensation from the product’s manufacturer or any other companies in the chain of distribution.
- If you were hurt in a car accident on a construction site, you may be able to pursue compensation through the driver’s auto insurance.
- If your accident was caused by someone who works for another subcontractor on the job, you may pursue compensation from that person’s employer.
Q: What is the “Scaffold Law” and how could it apply to my case?
A: This law allows construction workers who suffer falls from scaffolding and other elevation-related injuries to demand compensation from the parties that are supposed to be responsible for their safety.
Because these types of fall-related injuries can be so severe, claims made under the Scaffold Law allow for compensation beyond what workers’ compensation provides.
Who can be held liable for a construction accident that results in injured workers?
When our law office begins investigating the accident that caused your injury, our goal will be to identify every party that could be held responsible in an injury case. In many construction site accidents in the state of New York, the injured person is entitled to more than the typical workers’ compensation benefits. Depending on the circumstances in your case, we could demand compensation from:
- General contractors
- Construction site and property owners
- Manufacturers or distributors of defective equipment
- Drivers of vehicles that caused the accident
It is crucial that you report your accident to your supervisor and seek medical treatment immediately. You should also contact our NYC injury attorneys as soon as possible so we can launch an investigation into what happened and who should be held accountable.
Types of Construction Accident Claims and Compensation
A serious injury can take a massive toll on your life. Beyond the hospital bills and missed paychecks, you may no longer be able to enjoy the activities you once loved, and your family can suffer alongside you. Our New York construction accident attorneys take a thorough approach to calculating how much compensation we will demand in your case.
Some of the types of compensation we may fight for include:
- Payment for past and future medical bills
- Lost wages, taking into consideration how this injury will affect your ability to work in the future
- Awards for pain and suffering
- Punitive damages, which can be awarded in cases involving extreme misconduct
Schedule a free case evaluation today, and learn what the next steps are in your case.
Call The Top Rated Personal Injury Attorneys at Belluck & Fox For Help With Your Construction Accident Claim
- Excellent construction accident lawyers in New York with more than 20 years of experience
- Long track record of success, winning more than $1 billion in verdicts and settlements
- High-quality representation and individualized attention
- Top-ranked construction accident attorneys, highly recommended by both satisfied clients and legal peers
- Always focused on developing smart legal strategies with the goal of fighting for the best possible outcome for clients
- Connections with popular and respected expert witnesses throughout New York
- Committed to maintaining good communication with injured clients to keep them updated throughout the legal process
- Authorized to handle all types of claims involving construction accidents, including Scaffold Law claims and wrongful death cases
Common Causes of Construction Accidents
The most common types of construction accidents are known as the “Fatal Four.” These four types of accidents accounted for about 60 percent of construction deaths in 2014, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. They are:
No matter what type of construction accident you were hurt in, if it was the result of negligence, you should speak with our experienced New York construction accident lawyers to learn about your rights.
Common Construction Accident Injuries
Construction site accidents can leave workers with serious, life-threatening injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most common injuries suffered on construction sites are:
These types of serious injuries are extremely devastating and expensive to treat. They can prevent you from working and supporting your family. Contact us today to learn about your legal options for pursuing the compensation you need to get your life back on track.
How New York’s Scaffold Law Affects Construction Accident Claims
In 1885, as New York City literally was rising into the sky, the state took steps to protect those who were risking their lives to build the high-rises that had begun populating the Big Apple. Over a century later, the “Scaffold Law” still protects construction workers’ rights to seek full and fair compensation.
New York law largely limits workers who are injured on the job to workers’ compensation relief, which only addresses medical expenses, lost wages, and death benefits. However, construction workers who are injured while “working at heights” or those who suffer “gravity-related injuries” can pursue additional compensation under New York’s Scaffold Law.
Let Our New York Construction Accident Attorneys Help You
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a construction accident, you should know that there are strict time limits for filing a claim for compensation. Contact the skilled New York personal injury attorneys at Belluck & Fox today to get started on your claim, and let us fight for the justice you and your family deserve. Call or fill out our online form now to learn how we can help.