Best Class Action Lawsuit Lawyers in New York - WE WILL FIGHT & WIN FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
You’ve seen the ads. Maybe you got a mailing. Perhaps it was a recorded phone call: “If you or a loved one has been injured by (fill in the blank).” But now it’s painfully personal. You have been seriously hurt by a dangerous product, and you feel certain you’re not the only one. So what should you do?
Contact the highly respected New York product liability lawyers at Belluck & Fox. With more than 20 years of experience, our dedicated attorneys have:
- Garnered more than $1 billion for injured clients and families who have lost a loved one due to harm caused by careless corporations
- Built up the resources necessary to take on deep-pocketed manufacturers and distributors who are defended by ferocious legal teams
- Stayed true to our commitment to show the utmost respect and compassion to those who are facing one of the most difficult times in their lives
For us, success is measured by our clients’ satisfaction, and we are honored by words of gratitude such as:
“Saying ‘thank you’ isn’t quite adequate in comparison to the weeks, months and tons of work you both did from the day Joe took on the case following my email.
So at this point, let me once again from the bottom of my heart … thank you and wish you continued success in helping other families!!”
If you’ve been hurt and don’t know where to turn, call on the team at Belluck & Fox. Schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today to learn how our attorneys will work tirelessly to help you and your family. Call or fill out our online form now to get started.
What Is a Class-Action Lawsuit?
Table of Contents
To understand what a class-action lawsuit is, you first need to understand the broader category of claims called “mass torts.” A mass tort is when multiple victims (known as plaintiffs) have been harmed by a corporation, and they are pursuing compensation either through a single claim or through individual claims grouped together.
- In a class-action lawsuit, plaintiffs who suffered the same injuries due to a defendant’s actions or lack of actions come together in a single claim and are represented as a “class.” Class-action lawsuits can be pursued in state or federal courts. One or a few victims are chosen as the lead plaintiffs to represent the class of people who were injured. Lawyers work to notify people who had no initial role in the lawsuit that they could be beneficiaries in the claim. Cases are generally handled as class actions rather than as individual lawsuits to avoid a flood of smaller claims clogging up the court system.
- In multidistrict litigation (MDL), a panel of judges decides to group together similar claims from federal district courts in various states to speed up and simplify the process. However, the individual claims remain separate, with one claim (or a select few) chosen to go to court first as a “bellwether trial.” What happens in the bellwether trial shapes how the other similar cases proceed. At the end of a bellwether trial, the defendant may decide to offer a global settlement to the remaining plaintiffs.
- In multicounty litigation (MCL), similar claims made in different counties are handled as a group in the state court system. The goal of MCL is the same as MDL ─ to expedite and simplify the trial process for claims that are similar but separate.
Any time you have been harmed by a dangerous or defective product, it’s important to speak with a knowledgeable New York product liability attorney to determine your options for pursuing compensation. An attorney can help you identify whether your experience was an isolated incident or if there are others out there who are suffering, too.
At Belluck & Fox, our dedicated class-action lawyers will review your claim for free and advise you of your options for moving forward. Call or fill out our online form to schedule an appointment now. You can also visit our offices at Albany, Woodstock, Rochester and New York City.
How Do I Know if I Have a Class-Action Lawsuit?
If you have been seriously hurt by a dangerous product, you may suspect that you are not alone. In fact, you may notice:
- News reports about other people being injured by the same dangerous product or defective device
- Product recalls over safety issues
- Studies indicating problems with a product
Ultimately, a judge will make the decision on whether to certify your case as a class-action lawsuit. However, our attorneys will need to conduct a thorough investigation and extensive research to try to show that your injuries are representative of a distinguishable class of victims whose number is too great to go through the court system individually.
Should I Opt Out of a Class-Action Lawsuit?
If you receive a class-action lawsuit notification, you may consider opting out of the suit and, therefore, any settlement that’s negotiated on behalf of the class. The main reason to opt out is that you may want to file your own separate lawsuit in order to pursue damages beyond what the class action may yield.
Talk to one of our knowledgeable New York class-action attorneys today about whether you should opt out.
Contact Belluck & Fox Lawyers for a Free Consultation
When you meet with our compassionate legal team, we will take the time to discuss your case in detail and review all your options for pursuing the compensation you deserve. The initial consultation is free and confidential, and we do not charge anything upfront to get started on your case. Instead, we collect our legal fees only if and when we recover compensation for you.
Call or fill out our online form to get started on your claim today.