It is frightening to think that products many women use every day, both on themselves and their babies, could cause cancer. However, for years, studies have been revealing links between the use of talcum powder products and ovarian cancer. Although the companies selling these dangerous talc-based cosmetic products have vehemently denied their link to cancer, the courts have sided with the victims in recognizing the seriousness of these claims, and Johnson & Johnson has now been ordered by a jury to pay millions of dollars in damages.
Table of Contents
New York Attorneys Dedicated to Talc Cancer Victims
At Belluck & Fox, LLP, our attorneys have spent their careers fighting for cancer victims whose diagnoses can be traced to dangerous products such as benzene and asbestos. Our firm is dedicated to holding giant companies accountable for putting individual people and their families’ lives at risk. We have the experience and the resources, and we are fully prepared to seek justice for those who are battling ovarian cancer after being exposed to talcum powder.
Contact us today to find out how you may be eligible for compensation based on your exposure to products containing talcum powder.
The Case Against Talc Products
Talc is a mineral that is mined throughout New York and the United States and is used to make talcum powder, a common ingredient in cosmetic products. Some talc naturally contains asbestos, which is a carcinogen known to cause the cancer mesothelioma. Although talc products containing asbestos have been banned in this country since the 1970s, other talc products are still commonly sold and used throughout the United States.
Over the past few decades, medical researchers have examined cases of women who used products containing talcum powder on their genital areas and later developed ovarian cancer. Although the results of these studies have been mixed, some have produced serious warnings.
- A 1999 study published in the International Journal of Cancer warned: “We conclude that there is a significant association between the use of talc in genital hygiene and risk of epithelial ovarian cancer that, when viewed in perspective of published data on this association, warrants more formal public health warnings.”
- Again in 2008, a study by Harvard researchers warned that using talc even once a week raised the risk of cancer by 36 percent. One researcher suggested women stop using talc products until more research had been done.
- In 2010, the International Agency for Research on Cancer released a report that described talc as “possibly carcinogenic to humans.”
- The American Cancer Society currently lists talcum powder as one of “the possible cancer-causing substances in and around the home.”
- In 2013, a federal jury found that an ovarian cancer victim in South Dakota had indeed been put at risk by her exposure to talc in Johnson & Johnson’s baby powder products. However, it did not award any monetary damages to the victim.
- In February 2016, a Missouri state jury found Johnson & Johnson liable for fraud, negligence and conspiracy in its failure to warn consumers about the ovarian cancer risk associated with its talcum powder products, according to a Reuters news report. It awarded the plaintiff’s family $72 million in damages, opening the door for other victims to pursue monetary compensation for their suffering.
Why Should Talc Cancer Victims Choose Belluck & Fox, LLP?
At Belluck & Fox, LLP, we measure our success by the ways in which we help people suffering from cancer in New York and across the United Sates. Our compassionate attorneys provide personalized and professional representation, and we have extensive experience working with cancer survivors and families who have lost loved ones to cancer.
In fact, we have secured more than $600 million for our clients and their families over the years – including two recent settlements of $32 million and $19.5 million for victims of the devastating cancer mesothelioma. Our attorneys understand the financial hardships that cancer victims and their families face, and we will fight to lighten those burdens and pursue compensation from companies that put you and your family at risk.
Our aggressive attorneys won’t be bullied by big companies with deep pockets, and we have a network of medical experts throughout New York and the United States to help us build your case. So if you or a family member is suffering from ovarian cancer that you suspect is linked to the use of talc products, contact the experienced product liability attorneys at Belluck & Fox, LLP today to discuss your options for seeking compensation. Fill out our online form or call us now to get started. We also have locations at Rochester, Woodstock and Albany.