Legendary jurist and trial lawyer in Upstate New York.
Judge Richard T. Aulisi joins the firm as trial counsel to lead the expansion of our Upstate New York personal injury practice.
Judge Aulisi was sworn in as a Supreme Court Justice on January 1, 2000. In addition to handling his assigned calendars in Fulton, Montgomery, Schenectady, and Warren Counties, he handled all of the asbestos litigation in the 29 counties of the Third Judicial Department. Prior to becoming a judge, he handled personal injury cases at all levels of New York State’s trial and appellate courts. He is widely regarded as one of the best trial lawyers in New York State.
Richard T. Aulisi graduated from Hartwick College in 1966 and Albany Law School in 1969. He practiced law for 30 years in Gloversville and was elected to the New York State Supreme Court in 1999. He is the former President of the Fulton County Bar Association; a former member of the New York State Committee on Professional Standards and served as its Chairman. He was a member of the Capital Defenders Panel, a sixteen-member statewide group created to review applications by attorneys who applied for appointment to capital murder cases. The Panel was also charged with the duty of setting fees for such cases.
As a former partner in the firm of Caputo, Aulisi, and Skoda and, later, Aulisi and Skoda, Judge Aulisi was actively engaged in an extensive civil and criminal trial practice. He handled cases at all levels of trial and Appellate Courts in the State of New York and tried criminal and civil cases in other states and in many of the counties across the State of New York, as well as in Federal Court. He served as a Special Prosecutor for Fulton County and for 21 years served as an assistant County Attorney.
Judge Aulisi has participated as a guest speaker at a number of national asbestos conferences, and served as a speaker and panel member at a number of other litigation conferences and seminars. He was a member of the Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics, the New York State Judicial Advisory Council and the New York State Unified Court System’s Litigation Coordinating Panel.
He is a member of the Fulton County Bar Association, Montgomery County Bar Association and The New York Italian American Bar Association.
- Personal Injury
- Mesothelioma & Asbestos
- Albany Law School, 1969
- Hartwick College, 1966
- New York
- Fulton County Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- New York Italian American Bar Association
APPOINTMENTS & PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- New York State Supreme Court (1999 – 2020)
- Former President, Fulton County Bar Association
- Former Chairman, New York State Committee on Professional Standards
- Former Member, Capital Defenders Panel
- Former Member, Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics
- Former Member, New York State Judicial Advisory Council
- Former Member, New York State Unified Court System’s Litigation Coordinating Panel
- Speaker at national conferences on asbestos
- Speaker and panel member at litigation conferences and seminars