Mesothelioma Centers of Excellence Provide Opportunities to Improve Wellness
We constantly are telling people to go to a Center of Excellence if you have been diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma. There are obvious reasons for why we advise this. They offer cutting edge treatment, experience, wealth of knowledge, clinical trials, and are staffed by a group of professionals who constantly are trying to push the envelope for more.
We usually do not talk about the other opportunities at these sites. It is a check on the person’s individual wellness. One of the definitions of wellness is “the act of practicing healthy habits on a daily basis to attain better physical and mental health.” When people travel to these centers one of the benefits they receive is a checkup on what the disease has done to their overall “wellness” and a chance to fight malignant mesothelioma on a daily basis. We are very honest in telling you that there is no cure, but we are learning every day how to live well with this disease. As always, each journey is different and some have it easier than others.
Opportunities for wellness are provided in the following ways at a Center of Excellence:
- Hope, which is a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen. Patients come in search of extending their lives. Patients travel from near and far because they are searching for better, they believe they are giving themselves the opportunity to put themselves in a better position to deal with this aggressive cancer.
- Community is available at these centers. When one person in the family is diagnosed everyone is affected. Patients need support. Family members need support.
- Spiritual needs are met at most centers. As we have learned through the years, we know the physical aspect is only one part of this disease. We meet people on the platform they are at and we provide what they need. Some people are in search of spiritual guidance, a listening ear, or just a friend.
- Nutrition is also another component of wellness. We encourage people to eat according to what their bodies need. We have a host of professionals who can help improve someone’s nutritional status. Hints and suggestions about what foods have worked for other patients can be very helpful.
- Education – from the moment you are introduced to the center we start with the basis of this disease. It is broken down into simplest forms and we start to paint the picture of what mesothelioma has done to you and what a Center of Excellence can do for you.
We all know that these are different times but we urge you to give yourself the best chance at getting the best care. Above are some of the attributes that are part of a Center of Excellence. Please consider giving yourself the best chance for treatment. Choose specialized personal care for a rare disease with medical experts who are invested in your state of wellness.