5 STEPS TO TAKE
AFTER AN AUTO ACCIDENT
Step 1: Get to Safety
- Check on the safety of the occupants in both vehicles involved in the accident.
- Turn on hazard lights and move to the side of the road if possible.
- Do not interfere any crash site evidence. It could be relevant for medical treatment, police reports and insurance claims.
Step 2: Who to Call
- Call 911, especially if someone is injured.
- Stay calm and briefly describe the location of the accident and any injuries.
- Contact law enforcement to file a crash report.
- Never admit fault to another driver, police officer or insurance adjuster.
- Contact an experienced auto accident attorney.
Step 3: Gather Information
- Exchange information with anyone involved in the accident (e.g., insurance information, driver’s license number, address, telephone number, license plate and the type of vehicle involved)
- Take photos of the crash scene and any injuries.
- Seek medical attention, even if you don’t feel hurt.
Step 4: Notify the Insurance Company (Carefully)
- Notify your insurance claims department about the accident.
- Do NOT give a recorded statement to an insurance agent without speaking with a lawyer first. You may feel pressured, but it is not a requirement.
- NEVER admit fault for the accident, even if you think you are responsible.
- Refer all future communications to your attorney.
Step 5: Work With A Car Accident Attorney
- A knowledgeable lawyer will collect all necessary information and protect your rights to compensation.