The New York attorneys at Belluck & Fox have extensive experience in representing those who have been injured in accidents on the job. Our workplace injury lawyers have successfully represented people who have been seriously hurt in falls, or injured by defective products or poorly maintained equipment, as well as those who suffered severe injuries in other types of workplace accidents.
If you have been injured on the job and need to talk to a workplace accident lawyer in New York, contact Belluck & Fox today by filling out our online form or calling us. We will review your claim immediately, at no cost to you, and go over all of your options for pursuing just compensation for your injuries.
Types of Serious Workplace Injuries
In many cases, workplace accidents are preventable. Workers have a right to feel safe at their jobs, and they should be properly trained and equipped to perform their daily duties without risking life and limb.
According to an article in Business Insurance magazine, the most common types of serious workplace injuries in New York and throughout the United States are:
- Workers who overexert themselves when they lift, push, pull, hold or carry more than their bodies can handle.
- Employees who are injured in serious slip-and-falls, trip-and-falls or falls to a lower level, such as when a construction worker falls from unsafe scaffolding.
- Those who experience a “bodily reaction,” caused by bending, climbing, reaching, standing, sitting, or slipping or tripping (without falling).
- Workers being struck by an object while on the job.
- Other common injuries can be traced to accidents on the highway, workers getting hurt when they are “caught in/compressed by” something, repetitive motion and poor ergonomics, equipment failure, and lack of the appropriate safety precautions.
No matter what type of injury you have suffered while on the job, you should always seek advice from an experienced workplace accident lawyer to identify your options for pursuing compensation. People injured on the job are most often entitled to workers’ compensation benefits, which can involve detailed documentation and strict deadlines. At Belluck & Fox, our New York workplace accident lawyers can help you. Contact us now to discuss your case and find out what steps you need to take to start seeking the compensation you deserve for your workplace injury.
Who Is Most Often Injured in New York Workplace Accidents?
If you have been seriously injured in a workplace accident in New York, you are not alone. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 213,300 nonfatal workplace injury cases reported in New York in 2014. In addition, more than 200 people died in workplace accidents that same year. Of course, some occupations had more reported injuries than others, for example:
- Health care and social assistance workers: 40,000 New Yorkers reported being injured on the job while working for hospitals, nursing homes, home health care providers and other similar employers in 2014.
- Retail trade employees: 21,200 people reported injuries while working at grocery stores, department stores and other retail establishments.
- Leisure, entertainment and hospitality workers: 18,500 people were hurt on the job at places such as restaurants, bars, amusement parks, and other entertainment establishments.
- Manufacturing workers: 14,000 people reported injuries from working in manufacturing facilities such as those that produce food, machinery or chemicals.
- Professional and business services: 11,700 New Yorkers were injured while working in jobs such as waste management, administrative services, security positions, building services, and other professional fields such as architecture and engineering.
- Construction workers: 9,800 people were injured while working in construction. This includes electricians, plumbers, scaffold workers, foundation workers and many others who contribute to the building process.
The list of New York workplace injury statistics goes on and on, but the fact is that no workplace is immune to people getting injured on the job. And a serious injury can forever change a person’s life and the lives of his or her family members.
So if you have been the victim of a serious workplace injury, no matter what field you work in, contact the New York workplace accident lawyers at Belluck & Fox today to discuss your legal options. Our experienced attorneys are dedicated to standing up for workers’ rights and can manage all aspects of your claim while you focus on your recovery.
Know Your Rights
The Occupational Safety & Health Administration specifically outlines your rights as a worker and how your employer must provide an environment “free of known health and safety hazards.” When you are injured on the job in New York, you have a legal right to seek compensation. This can come through:
Workers’ Compensation: As soon as you are injured on the job, you should seek medical treatment and report the injury to your employer to start the workers’ compensation claim process. You should also talk to an experienced New York workers’ compensation attorney about your case, as the claims process can be complicated and an attorney can help you prepare the proper documentation. Keep in mind that there are many deadlines to meet in a workers’ compensation case, including notifying your employer in writing within 30 days of the accident.
New York Labor Law: Often referred to as the “Scaffold Law,” there are specific protections in the state of New York for construction workers who risk serious injury when proper safety precautions are not taken. If you have been injured on a construction site — whether it be due to a fall, being hit by an object or other serious accident — it is important that you speak with an attorney who is well-versed in New York labor law to review all your options for compensation.
Wrongful Death: “No one should have to sacrifice their life for their livelihood, because a nation built on the dignity of work must provide safe working conditions for its people.” This statement from U.S. Labor Secretary Thomas E. Perez on the OSHA website sums up the tragedy of losing a loved one in a workplace accident. Under terrible circumstances such as these, surviving loved ones may be able to pursue justice and compensation through a wrongful death claim. The compassionate and dedicated workplace accident lawyers at Belluck & Fox have experience in such cases and can explain your legal options as you struggle to cope with your loss.
Contact a New York Workplace Accident Lawyer Today
We understand the feelings of shock and anxiety that often plague injured workers as they try to figure out how to keep their lives on track after an accident. The physical pain of an injury can sometimes be eclipsed by the mental stress of coping with daily life when you are not able to go back to work immediately.
So if you have been injured or lost a loved one in a serious workplace accident, contact the experienced attorneys at Belluck & Fox today for a complimentary evaluation of your case. Our workplace accident lawyers take pride in fighting for the rights of injured workers in New York, and we will provide you with personalized and professional legal representation. Whether you are seeking justice on behalf of yourself or a loved one, our attorneys are ready to start investigating your claim and identifying legal options for compensation.
Please keep in mind that in New York, there are strict time limits for filing claims after a workplace accident, so it is imperative that you take action on your case as soon as possible.
Contact us today by filling out our online form, or give us a call. We will review your case for free.
Business Insurance: Top 5 workplace injury causes make up 72% of direct workers comp costs: Analysis
New York State Workers’ Compensation Board: Understanding the Claims Process
Occupational Safety & Health Administration: Know Your Rights
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: New York Occupational Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities