Workers Comp & Labor Law Attorney NYC
Whether you spend your days operating heavy equipment at a construction site or running errands in an office, the threat of a debilitating workplace injury or illness can put your future and your family’s future in jeopardy.
Catastrophic injuries on the job can happen in any occupation. Dangerous workplace conditions, defective equipment and inadequate safety precautions can all lead to life-changing injuries. A worker can face ongoing medical expenses, missed paychecks and long-term financial repercussions.
At Belluck & Fox, LLP, we fight for injured workers. Our NYC work injury attorneys have more than two decades of experience successfully representing people who have suffered serious on-the-job injuries or occupational illnesses. Our nationally respected team of personal injury attorneys in New York City has recovered more than $1 billion for our deserving clients and their families.
If you have been hurt or lost a family member in an accident on the job, please talk to a dedicated workplace accident lawyer in New York City today. Call us at (212) 681-1575 or contact us online to set up a free consultation. Our attorneys are here to answer your questions and explain all your options for pursuing the just compensation you deserve.
Why Choose Our Trusted NYC Workplace Injury Lawyers?
Table of Contents
- Top-ranked New York City work injury attorneys with more than 20 years of litigation experience
- High-quality representation in complicated cases involving all types of serious work injuries
- Long track record of success, securing more than $1 billion for our deserving clients and their families
- Top-rated personal injury law firm in NYC, regularly recommended by trusted legal professionals and satisfied clients
- Committed to crafting savvy legal strategies aimed at producing the best possible results for clients
- Excellent relationships with respected and popular expert witnesses who can offer strategic advice on complex work injury claims
- Dedicated to continuing great communication with our clients throughout the entire legal process to ensure clients always know how their case is progressing
- Always available to travel to meet with clients anywhere that is convenient ─ including at home, an urgent care clinic or the emergency room
- Authorized to handle a wide range of on-the-job injury claims, including wrongful death and Scaffold Law cases
Understanding Your Rights as a Worker in NYC
The federal government has charged the Occupational Safety & Health Administration with providing guidelines that employers must follow to protect workers’ health and safety. In fact, your employer is required to provide a work environment that is “free of known health and safety hazards.”
Even with strict safety regulations in place, accidents can and do happen. If you or a family member has been hurt in a workplace accident in New York City, you should learn about your legal right to compensation. This compensation may come through:
Workers’ Compensation: This is the first option many people turn to when they are hurt on the job. To start the workers’ compensation claims process, you should get medical care as soon as you are injured and report what happened to your employer. You will also need to talk to a knowledgeable NYC workers’ compensation lawyer about your claim to ensure you are properly documenting your injury and making a strong case for maximum benefits. You should know that there are many important deadlines that must be met in a New York workers’ compensation claim, such as informing your employer ─ in writing ─ within 30 days of the injury.
New York Labor Law: Apart from workers’ compensation benefits,construction workers injured on NYC jobsites may be entitled to additional compensation due to protections provided under New York’s “Scaffold Law.” If you were injured on a jobsite due to a fall, a falling object, or any other type of accident, you should get advice from a knowledgeable workplace injury attorney in NYC who has a thorough understanding of the state’s labor law.
Dangerous or Defective Equipment Claims: When dangerous products or equipment result in on-the-job injuries, workers may be entitled to pursue compensation from the manufacturers or other companies involved in the distribution. If you believe defective equipment or a dangerous product caused your accident, talk to our attorneys about your legal options.
Wrongful Death Claims: There is no excuse for the dangerous conditions that lead to fatalities in the workplace. If you have lost a loved one in a tragic workplace accident, you may be able to pursue justice on their behalf through a wrongful death claim. Although there is no amount of money that can reverse the damage that has been done, you may be entitled to financial compensation to help ease the burdens your family is now facing.
Compensation for Workplace Injuries
Workers’ compensation benefits are limited in the types and amounts of expenses they cover. However, you may be entitled to additional compensation through a personal injury claim. This can include payments for:
- Past, current and future medical expenses related to your injury, including surgeries, follow-up care, hospital stays, medications, mobility assistance devices such as wheelchairs, etc.
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity if you are not able to return to the same job or are permanently disabled
- Pain and suffering, including physically, emotionally and psychologically
- Punitive damages, which may be awarded in cases involving extreme misconduct
An experienced NYC work injury attorney from Belluck & Fox can help you identify all possible sources of compensation after an accident on the job and document the damages you have suffered. Please contact us today to learn how we can help you.
Common Causes of Serious Workplace Accidents and Injuries in NYC
Sadly, many on-the-job accidents could have been prevented. However, workers must be properly equipped and trained in order to perform their jobs safely, without risk to themselves or others.
In New York City and throughout the state, some of the most common types of severe workplace injuries occur when:
- Workers overexert themselves, such as by lifting, pulling, pushing or carrying more than they should.
- People are hurt in severe slip-and-falls, trip-and-falls or falls from one level to another, such as when a worker falls off dangerous scaffolding at a construction site.
- Workers experience an unexpected “bodily reaction” from climbing, bending, reaching, standing up, sitting down, or slipping (without falling).
- People are hit by an object at work.
- Employees suffer injuries due to repetitive motion or stress on their bodies or poor ergonomics.
- Occupational illnesses are caused by exposure to toxic chemicals and other dangerous materials.
- Workers suffer catastrophic injuries caused by heavy equipment or machinery.
- People are injured in car accidents on the job.
- Workers are hurt when they are “caught in/compressed by” something such as heavy machinery.
- Workers are harmed due to a lack of the appropriate safety precautions.
No matter how your injury on the job was caused, you should talk to a seasoned NYC workplace accident lawyer about your right to seek compensation. Contact Belluck & Fox now to talk about your case and learn about your next steps.
Workers Most at Risk for Injury
If you or a loved one has been seriously harmed in a workplace accident in New York City, you are not alone. More than 200,000 people suffered nonfatal workplace injuries in New York in 2016, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. In addition to that, more than 250 workers died in on-the-job accidents in 2016.
Certain occupations reported higher numbers of injuries than others, including:
Education and health service workers: 40,700 people in New York reported being hurt while working for schools, hospitals, home health care providers, nursing homes, etc.
Trade, transportation and utility workers: 37,200 people reported workplace injuries at auto parts suppliers, construction material wholesalers, grocery wholesalers and other similar jobsites.
Retail trade employees: 20,500 people were injured while working at grocery stores, auto dealerships, department stores and other retail stores.
Leisure, entertainment and hospitality workers: 15,700 people reported job-related injuries at restaurants and bars, amusement parks, and other entertainment establishments.
Manufacturing workers: 12,900 workers were injured at manufacturing facilities throughout New York, including those that produce metal, food, transportation equipment, machinery, chemicals, etc.
Professional and business services: 11,200 New Yorkers were hurt in jobs involving services such as waste management, security positions, administrative services, building services and other professional fields.
Construction workers: 9,400 construction workers were injured throughout New York, including scaffold workers, foundation workers, electricians, plumbers, etc.
The data on New York City work injury statistics is staggering, and the truth is that no one is immune to the risk of getting hurt on the job. An unexpected workplace accident can change your life in an instant, leaving you and your family struggling to make ends meet.
If you are coping with a serious workplace injury, no matter the circumstances, you need to understand your legal rights. The dedicated New York City workplace accident lawyers at Belluck & Fox are here to help. Our trusted legal team can manage every aspect of your injury claim so you and your family can focus on your recovery.
Talk to a Top-Rated New York City Workplace Accident Lawyer Now
We understand all too well the stress that can plague injured workers and families who are just trying to keep their lives on track after a serious accident. The physical pain can even be eclipsed by the overwhelming anxiety of dealing with the financial fallout from missed paychecks and mounting bills.
If you find yourself in this situation, don’t try to face it alone. Let Belluck & Fox take the burden off you. Our compassionate personal injury lawyers in NYC will evaluate your case for free, with no obligation to you. We do not charge any fees upfront to begin working on your accident claim, and we only collect payment if and when we recover compensation for you.
Please call us at (212) 681-1575 or fill out our online form to get started on your case. Our attorneys can meet with you at our Midtown law office, located at 546 Fifth Ave, 5th Floor, New York NY 10036, or we can meet with you at your home or in the hospital. Our dedicated legal team frequently travels to meet with clients throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, Staten Island and surrounding areas.