Understanding Your Options for Pursuing Compensation for Asbestos Exposure
Table of Contents
- 1 Understanding Your Options for Pursuing Compensation for Asbestos Exposure
- 2 Options for Pursuing Compensation in Asbestos Claim
- 3 Compensation Our Attorneys Pursue in Asbestos Claim
- 4 Let Our Nationally Recognized and Dedicated Asbestos Attorneys Fight for You
For patients and families coping with an asbestos disease such as mesothelioma, you should know that you may be entitled to compensation from the asbestos companies that put you at risk of exposure.
Asbestos victims can face tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills and health care expenses, as well as other burdens caused by missed time from work and the ongoing struggle with pain and suffering.
At Belluck & Fox, our nationally recognized asbestos attorneys help take the burden off patients by fighting for maximum compensation during this difficult time.
For more than 20 years, asbestos victims have counted on our firm to handle their claims because:
- Our New York asbestos law firm has built our practice around these complex cases. Our years of experience and research in this field have helped us hold countless asbestos companies accountable. Our dedicated attorneys keep detailed records on the companies that manufactured and sold asbestos products, so our team can identify when and where our clients were exposed.
- Our lawyers are widely recognized for success in asbestos litigation. We have secured more than $1 billion in asbestos settlements and verdicts for people throughout New York and the United States. Our litigators are nationally recognized for taking cases to verdict, so asbestos companies know we are serious when we demand full and fair compensation for clients.
- Our attorneys are respectful and compassionate when it comes to our clients’ needs. Although our attorneys are aggressive in the courtroom, clients appreciate our sensitive bedside manner. Our goal is to take as much of the pressure off you as we can, and that means doing all the legwork in your asbestos claim. We will travel to meet you and your family wherever is most convenient, and we will not ask you to make the taxing trip to appear in court.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, lung cancer, or another asbestos-related disease, you need an asbestos attorney with extensive experience in mesothelioma claims.
Let our dedicated New York asbestos attorneys at Belluck & Fox manage your claim and fight for the justice you and your family deserve.
Contact us now, and one of the partners in our firm will get back to you within 24 hours for a free consultation on your case.
Options for Pursuing Compensation in Asbestos Claim
When you first meet with the team from our New York asbestos law firm, we will review your work history and/or your military service history.
The information you provide will help us launch an investigation into when and where you were exposed to asbestos and which companies may be held liable for your illness.
You should know that asbestos claim does not mean you will be suing your former boss or the military. Rather, our attorneys will be identifying companies that made and sold asbestos products. Options for seeking compensation may include:
Filing an Asbestos Lawsuit
In cases where the asbestos companies responsible for your exposure are still in business, our attorneys will demand compensation by filing a lawsuit against the liable parties.
In preparation for trial, our asbestos lawyers will conduct a thorough investigation, take depositions, collect records, and hire experts to help build a strong case.
In many claims, the defendants will offer an asbestos lawsuit settlement before a verdict is read or a judgment is made. However, our strong litigators know the only way an asbestos company will consider full and fair compensation is if we are ready to take your case to court.
Filing Claims with Asbestos Bankruptcy Funds
In order to protect asbestos victims, federal law mandates that asbestos companies filing for bankruptcy must set aside money in special trust funds.
Seeking compensation from an asbestos trust fund is not the same as filing an asbestos lawsuit. However, our attorneys will still need to determine which products exposed you to asbestos and provide proof of the damages you have suffered as a result.
Getting VA Benefits
Unfortunately, many veterans have been diagnosed with asbestos-related diseases such as mesothelioma due to exposure during their time in the military. Navy veterans are most at risk for illness because asbestos was commonly used on Navy ships and in shipyards.
Veterans who have been diagnosed with asbestos diseases may be able to obtain monthly benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
At Belluck & Fox, we have an attorney on staff who is an accredited VA claims agent and can help you file a VA benefits claim.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be able to file a claim for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits.
The Social Security Administration considers mesothelioma a debilitating disease, but when filing a claim for benefits, you will need to provide proof of your illness.
Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim
If you were working at a company that manufactured asbestos products when you received your diagnosis, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits, as well.
The circumstances of your case will dictate how our asbestos attorneys pursue compensation for you.
In many cases, our team may take action on multiple fronts. For example, we may file a claim for compensation through an asbestos trust fund and pursue a lawsuit against a separate asbestos company that was partially responsible for your exposure.
Schedule a free consultation to learn more about the asbestos claim process, and find out how we can help you.
Compensation Our Attorneys Pursue in Asbestos Claim
An important part of any asbestos claim is building a case for full and fair compensation. Our experienced attorneys will document how your illness has affected you physically, emotionally, and financially. We may pursue payment for:
- Medical expenses, including any treatments or long-term care you may need in the future
- Lost wages, as well as reduced earning capacity
- Travel expenses related to your treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of services to your spouse
- Wrongful death
Let Our Nationally Recognized and Dedicated Asbestos Attorneys Fight for You
If you or a loved one is coping with a diagnosis of mesothelioma, lung cancer, or another asbestos-related disease, the trusted asbestos attorneys at Belluck & Fox, LLP are here to help you. We have locations at Albany, Rochester, NYC and Woodstock.
Schedule a free case consultation with our team today, and let us review your legal options for pursing the compensation you need and the justice you deserve.