At Belluck & Fox, our New York slip-and-fall accident attorneys have spent more than two decades fighting for the rights of injured people. We believe that negligent companies and individuals should be held accountable for their actions (or their failure to act in some cases). Victims of slip-and-fall accidents turn to Belluck & Fox because:
- Our dedicated litigators have secured more than $1 billion in compensation for clients. Our highly respected attorneys have been recognized for Largest Verdicts of the Year by the National Law Journal, and we have been honored by Best Lawyers, Martindale Hubbell, and Super Lawyers.
- Our attorneys are sensitive to our clients’ needs and what you’re going through. A slip-and-fall lawsuit can be stressful, especially when you’re trying to cope with devastating injuries. Our compassionate legal team strives to take the burden off you so you can focus on healing while we focus on your claim.
- Our skilled trial attorneys develop detailed legal strategies that are tailored to your case. Our firm has assembled an impressive network of medical specialists, accident reconstruction experts, and financial professionals who will analyze your slip-and-fall case and assist in building a strong claim for maximum compensation.
Schedule a free case consultation now to discuss how our seasoned legal team can help with your slip-and-fall lawsuit. Our dedicated New York slip-and-fall accident attorneys at Belluck & Fox do not charge any fees to get started on your accident claims. In fact, we do not collect attorneys’ fees unless and until we secure compensation for you.
Contact our premise liability attorneys today to schedule a free consultation, and learn how we will fight for you.
Table of Contents
Compensation in Slip-and-Fall Lawsuits
We understand that no amount of money can make your injuries go away, but compensation can enable you to afford the top-notch care you need to move forward with your life. When our dedicated New York personal injury lawyers at Belluck & Fox begin working on your case, we will thoroughly investigate your accident and document your injuries to determine the extent of the damages you have suffered.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, we may demand:
- Payment for all medical bills related to your injury, including those you may incur for future treatments
- Compensation for lost wages and diminished earning potential if you can no longer do the same job you did before the accident
- Awards for the pain and suffering you have endured as a result of your injury
- Punitive damages, which can be awarded in cases involving extreme misconduct
How You Can Help Build Your Claim for Compensation
The rush of pain and the flurry of reactions after a serious slip-and-fall injury can leave a victim with foggy memories of the incident. That’s why it’s important to take steps to preserve evidence of what happened.
Here are some things you can do to protect your rights:
- Get medical help immediately. Your health comes first, and seeking medical treatment as soon as possible will help provide documentation of your injuries, which will be vital to your slip-and-fall lawsuit.
- Make sure there is a record of your accident. Tell the owner of the property what happened and get acknowledgement in writing. Copies of a report of the accident from a landlord, store, or business manager/owner could prove invaluable.
- Limit communication with those who could become defendants. Calmly inform those who need to know about what happened, but don’t say anything that could compromise your claim.
- Take pictures. Get shots of where you fell, yourself (and your injuries), and anything that might have contributed to your fall.
- Take notes. Get the names and contact information of witnesses. Document where and how you fell, the time, and date. Keeping a log of medical conditions and treatments can also be helpful.
- Save any evidence. The shoes and clothing you were wearing could be used as evidence in your case. Preserve them. For example, do not wash off any substances that may have caused your fall.
Do not hesitate to contact an experienced New York slip-and-fall lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. Especially if your injuries are severe, an insurance company may approach you with a quick and easy slip-and-fall settlement to get you to sign away your rights. Never agree to a settlement without consulting an attorney.
Common Causes of Slip-and-Fall Accidents
There are unfortunately countless causes of slip-and-fall accidents in New York. Even more unfortunate is that many of these accidents could have been prevented had property owners warned people or acted in a timely manner to prevent injuries.
Some of the more common slip-and-fall hazards include:
- Wet floors and walkways, especially those with naturally slippery surfaces
- Clutter or debris in aisles, hallways, and other pedestrian areas
- Damaged flooring, from ragged carpeting to loose tiles or floorboards
- Ice and snow
- Inadequate lighting
- Elevators and escalators
- Dangerous stairways
- Landscape hazards
No matter what type of hazard led to your fall, if the owner or manager of the property was aware of the danger (or should have been aware) and did not take reasonable safety precautions, they should be held accountable.
Contact Belluck & Fox Now for a Free Consultation
New York limits the amount of time you have to file a slip-and-fall lawsuit, so it is imperative that you take action as soon as possible. Our experienced New York premises liability attorneys will immediately launch an investigation into the cause of your accident, begin documenting your injuries, and identify every potentially liable party. Our goal is to secure the full and fair compensation you need to get your life back on track.
We have an office in New York city which offers a free case consultation. Learn how our attorneys can make a difference for you.