Biking is an efficient, healthy, and eco-friendly way to get around. Unfortunately, riding a bike doesn’t come without risks, especially in New York City.
The availability of bike-share services, like Citi Bike, has given rise to increased bike-related accidents and injuries. If you have been hurt in a bike accident in Manhattan, the experienced injury lawyers at Belluck & Fox are ready to speak with you. Reach out to us today for a free consultation.
Bike Accident Causes and Types of Bike Accident Injuries
Table of Contents
The New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT) reported that nearly 300 bicyclists died in a single year after being involved in accidents with cars. Some common causes of NYC bike accidents include:
- Drivers’ failure to yield – Bicyclists and pedestrians often have the right-of-way over vehicles, but when vehicle drivers don’t yield, fatal accidents can easily occur.
- Potholes – Potholes and defects in the road can be very dangerous for cyclists. When cyclists hit a pothole, they can be thrown from the bike and potentially land in traffic.
- Dooring – “Dooring” accidents occur when drivers or passengers fail to watch for cyclists when opening their vehicle’s doors. In the city, these accidents are all too common and can cause serious injury to cyclists.
Since many Citi Bike riders are tourists, they aren’t familiar with the very specific road conditions that biking in Manhattan presents.
Who Is at Liable for a Citi Bike Crash?
Responsibility for a Citi Bike crash will depend on the specifics of each case. An injury lawyer can investigate the accident to determine which party or parties were at fault.
Some potentially liable parties include:
- Drivers who strike Citi Bike riders
- Pedestrians who are harmed by an inexperienced or careless Citi Bike rider
- The bike-share company, if the accident was caused by a poorly maintained bike
- The bike manufacturer, if the accident was caused by a defective bike design or bike part
- Government entities, if a pothole or another road defect caused the accident
One factor tends to remain consistent: at-fault parties don’t want to pay what they owe. When you seek compensation for your injuries, the insurance company may deny your claim, offer a lowball settlement, or delay paying you. Having a lawyer on your side will give you the resources you need to recover fair payment as soon as possible.
What Should I do If I’m Hit by a Car While I’m Cycling?
As a cyclist, if you are involved in a collision with a motor vehicle, to protect yourself and your rights, make sure to do the following:
- Call 911 – Make sure to seek treatment immediately if you sustain injuries. Even if you can’t tell whether you are hurt at first, it is best to get medical attention. Cyclists do not have the protection that drivers do, which often results in severe and potentially fatal injuries.
- Gather Documentation – Take pictures of the scene of the incident if you can. These may be useful later on in the claims process. Make sure to take pictures of any damage to the bicycle, other vehicles involved, or any hazardous conditions such as potholes that contributed to your injury.
- Avoid Speaking with Insurers – In the aftermath of the accident, you may be contacted by an insurer. Whether they are calling on behalf of another person involved or for Citi Bike, do not speak with them on the record without first consulting an injury lawyer.
- Reach out to a Lawyer – Collisions and the injuries that they cause can be very costly for the victim. The best chance that injury victims have to collect the compensation that they need is to work with an experienced lawyer to handle their claim.
How Can Belluck & Fox Help Me?
The lawyers at Belluck & Fox understand how life-changing bicycle accidents can be for those involved. If you are hurt on a Citi Bike, hire a lawyer who can aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve. To discuss your case with a member of our team, call us or contact us online now.