Get Help for Your Mesothelioma Claim
Patients and families are entitled to compensation for the losses they suffer due to mesothelioma and other asbestos diseases. Mesothelioma claims can provide financial help to cover all medical bills and caregiving expenses, as well as other devastating losses that are caused by the life-threatening asbestos cancer.
Nationally Respected Mesothelioma Claims Lawyers
Table of Contents
Belluck & Fox is nationally recognized as a top-ranked mesothelioma law firm that is focused solely on asbestos claims. Our knowledgeable mesothelioma lawyers have more than 25 years of experience successfully recovering full and fair compensation for our deserving clients and their families.
In fact, our law firm has obtained more than $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for mesothelioma clients.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation about your mesothelioma claim. A partner in our firm will personally meet with you to discuss your diagnosis and explain how we can help fight for the financial compensation you and your family need and the justice you deserve.
Determining Liability in a Mesothelioma Claim
Exposure to asbestos is the only cause of malignant mesothelioma, a rare and aggressive cancer that develops in the thin layer of tissue that lines the lungs, chest cavity and other organs.
A majority of mesothelioma patients faced asbestos exposure on the job or while serving in the military. In addition, family members of those who worked with asbestos may have been exposed secondhand when the microscopic fibers were brought home on clothing, hair or skin (known as take-home asbestos).
The companies that manufactured and sold asbestos-containing materials understood the dangers but failed to warn the public. Because mesothelioma can take 15 to 60 years to begin to develop, many people who were exposed years ago are just now being diagnosed with the deadly cancer.
Our skilled lawyers know which companies were responsible for exposing people to asbestos. We know the jobsites and other places where asbestos was used, and we will pinpoint which companies are responsible for your exposure.
Our experienced legal team may use blueprints of the factory or ships where you worked to determine what type of asbestos products were used. We will also track down records to show which companies supplied jobsites with asbestos materials. In addition, we can interview your former co-workers to find out what they know about the asbestos materials that were used.
Our dedicated mesothelioma lawyers at Belluck & Fox will use all the evidence we gather to prove which companies should be held liable for compensating you and your family.
Your Options for Filing a Mesothelioma Claim
Our attorneys will assess all your options for obtaining compensation through mesothelioma claims. Depending on the circumstances of your case, we may suggest that you pursue one or more of the following:
- Mesothelioma claim. People who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma can file personal injury claims against the companies responsible for their exposure to asbestos. Personal injury claims seek compensation for medical expenses (both past and future), lost income, reduced earning capacity, and pain and suffering. In most cases, these lawsuits are resolved with an out-of-court settlement because the defendants do not want to risk going to trial. However, our skilled asbestos trial attorneys will always be prepared to take your claim to court if that is what’s in your best interests.
- Wrongful death claim. If a family member has died from mesothelioma or another asbestos illness, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim. These types of claims help families secure money for funeral and burial expenses, medical expenses, the value of lost support and services, the value of lost wages and benefits, etc. At Belluck & Fox, we understand that money cannot turn back the clock on the tragedy your family has experienced, but it can help ease the financial struggle you are facing.
- Asbestos bankruptcy fund claim. In cases where the company responsible for your asbestos exposure has filed for bankruptcy, money may have been set aside in a trust. Our experienced mesothelioma attorneys can identify which trusts are liable to you and help you through the complicated claims process.
- Veterans’ benefits claim. Asbestos materials were often used in the Navy and other branches of the military. Veterans with mesothelioma are entitled to receive monthly VA benefits.
Social Security Disability claim. If you were diagnosed with mesothelioma or another asbestos disease before you reached retirement age, you may be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits.
- Workers’ compensation claim. If you were exposed to asbestos on the job and had to leave work after a mesothelioma diagnosis, you may also be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.
If you or a family member has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, lung cancer or another asbestos disease, contact us today to learn about all your options for compensation. Our compassionate legal team is here to help.
Mesothelioma Claim Deadlines
Each state sets its own statute of limitation, or deadline, for filing a mesothelioma personal injury or wrongful death claim. Depending on the type of claim, the deadline for filing is based on the date of diagnosis or the date of death.
Common Questions About Mesothelioma Claims
After a mesothelioma diagnosis, patients and families often have many questions about the next steps, particularly when it comes to filing claims for compensation. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions our attorneys hear from clients:
Why do I need a mesothelioma attorney to file a claim?
Going up against a deep-pocketed corporation requires extensive knowledge, manpower and resources. At Belluck & Fox, our lawyers have spent their legal careers successfully handling complex asbestos litigation claims.
Our team will build an airtight case to show who is responsible for your asbestos disease. We will also collect extensive documentation to demonstrate the full extent of the damages you and your family have suffered.
Our goal is always to recover maximum compensation for you, whether by aggressively negotiating a settlement or arguing your case before a judge a jury.
Can family members file asbestos claims on behalf of mesothelioma patients?
Mesothelioma is an aggressive and debilitating cancer. Oftentimes, family members worry that the patient does not have the strength to go through the entire legal process. Caregivers want to do as much as they can to take the burden off the patient. At Belluck & Fox, we understand that.
Our seasoned mesothelioma claims attorneys will manage all the communication and do all the legwork related to the claim to keep the stress off both the patient and the family. We will travel to meet with families and ensure the patient never needs to travel to court as part of the process. We handle everything related to the legal claim so our clients can focus on their health and their families.
In cases where a mesothelioma patient dies before the claim is resolved, we can help a family member carry on with the case on the deceased’s behalf. In cases where a patent dies before having a chance to file a personal injury claim, we can work with family members to file a wrongful death claim.
If my spouse didn’t start on a claim before he or she died, can I still file a wrongful death claim for mesothelioma?
Yes. As long as the statute of limitations has not run out, you can file a wrongful death claim regardless of whether your loved one initiated a claim before he or she passed.
How much is my mesothelioma claim worth?
Every mesothelioma case is different. The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the losses (both economic and non-economic) that you have suffered. To calculate what full and fair compensation should be in your case, we will take into account your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Who pays the compensation if I win my case?
If you reach a settlement or win a jury award in a personal injury likely wrongful death case against a company (or companies), the defendant’s insurance carrier will be responsible for paying you. If you are filing a claim through an asbestos bankruptcy fund, the money would come from the tr