New York Mesothelioma Lawsuits & Asbestos Litigation
What You and Your Family Can Expect
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of Mesothelioma Lawsuits
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions About Mesothelioma Lawsuits
- 3 Choosing a Mesothelioma Attorney
- 4 Mesothelioma Lawsuit Process
- 5 History of Asbestos Litigation
- 6 Notable Asbestos Lawsuit Verdicts
- 7 Let Our Experienced Mesothelioma Lawyers Fight for You
The thought of filing a mesothelioma lawsuit while you are coping with a serious cancer diagnosis can be daunting, but you and your family deserve compensation for the harm you’ve suffered at the hands of large asbestos companies.
The experienced New York mesothelioma lawyers at Belluck & Fox are committed to guiding you through this process and taking as much of the burden off you as possible. For more than 20 years, mesothelioma patients and their families have chosen our firm because:
- Our mesothelioma lawyers specialize in these types of cases. Asbestos lawsuits require experienced attorneys who know the ins and outs of these complicated claims. Over the years, our team has developed extensive knowledge about the companies that produced dangerous asbestos products and the places where people were exposed.
- Our New York mesothelioma law firm is nationally recognized for success in asbestos lawsuits. Our lawyers have secured more than $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for clients across the United States.
- Our mesothelioma attorneys treat patients and families with compassion and respect. We want our clients to stay focused on their treatments, so we do all the traveling and the legwork. As one client said: “Thank you so much for your patience, expertise and endurance yesterday at my dad’s deposition. You handled him with care and were mindful of his needs.”
- Our dedicated team connects clients with the help they need in the mesothelioma community. Over the years, we have built relationships with doctors, nurses, caregivers, and families who understand what you’re going through. We work hard to help our clients develop the support network they need to get through this difficult time.
Schedule a free case consultation with our team today to learn how we can help with your mesothelioma lawsuit. One of the partners in our firm will contact you within 24 hours to personally discuss your mesothelioma case.
Types of Mesothelioma Lawsuits
An experienced mesothelioma lawyer from our top-ranked legal team will review the details of your case and go over all your legal options for seeking compensation for you and your family. Depending on the circumstances on your case, we may suggest that you pursue:
People who have received a diagnosis of mesothelioma can file a personal injury lawsuit against the companies that are responsible for their exposure to asbestos. Through this type of lawsuit, a patient may recover compensation for past and future medical expenses, lost wages, reduced earning capacity, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Wrongful Death Claims
Families who have lost loved ones to mesothelioma can pursue wrongful death lawsuits to demand justice on their loved ones’ behalf. A wrongful death claim can help family members manage the financial burdens related to the death of a loved one, as well as hold the at-fault party(s) accountable.
In a wrongful death lawsuit, you can receive compensation for funeral and burial expenses, medical expenses, loss of support and services, loss of nurturing and guidance for children, loss of inheritance, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mesothelioma Lawsuits
It is normal to have a lot of questions when you are trying to decide whether to pursue a legal claim. Our mesothelioma lawyers are here to explain how the lawsuit process works and what patients and families can expect. Some of the most commonly asked questions we receive include:
How much does it cost to hire a mesothelioma lawyer?
Our mesothelioma law firm handles these cases on a contingency-fee basis. This means that our legal fees come as an agreed-upon percentage of the total compensation we recover for you. If our firm does not recover any money for you, we do not charge you any attorney fees.
How long will a mesothelioma lawsuit take?
We know how debilitating mesothelioma can be, so our attorneys work quickly and efficiently to keep your claim moving forward. We can obtain settlements within 30 days.
Although the asbestos companies may try to drag your claim out, our dedicated New York mesothelioma lawyers petition the court to completely resolve these cases within one year.
Can a patient’s family file a mesothelioma lawsuit?
Yes. Unfortunately, there is no cure for mesothelioma, and life expectancy for patients is usually one to two years, depending on a variety of factors. Many patients file mesothelioma lawsuits with the goal of recovering compensation that could help their families in the long run.
For patients who pass away before their mesothelioma lawsuit is resolved, family members will be able to step in as plaintiffs and demand the compensation the patient deserved.
For families who have lost someone to mesothelioma, our compassionate attorneys can discuss your options for filing a wrongful death claim. You may be able to recover compensation for medical bills, funeral expenses, lost income, and the pain and suffering your family member endured.
If I don’t know where/how I was exposed to asbestos, can you still help me?
A knowledgeable mesothelioma attorney from our firm will talk to you about your work history or military service history to determine where and when you were exposed to asbestos.
Because our firm focuses on asbestos litigation, we already have extensive research and records on the companies that manufactured asbestos materials and the jobsites where they were used. We may also talk with your former co-workers or fellow servicemembers to find out what they can remember about asbestos exposure.
What if I’ve never worked for an asbestos company but have been diagnosed with mesothelioma?
Asbestos-containing materials were used in thousands of industrial, building and household products. Although some workers were exposed to the cancer-causing fibers by handling raw asbestos in factories, many innocent people were also exposed in homes, schools or offices. We will help you figure out were you were exposed to asbestos.
Can I still get compensation if the asbestos company where I worked has gone bankrupt or been bought by another company?
Yes. When asbestos companies file for bankruptcy, they must set aside money in an asbestos trust fund to pay future mesothelioma patients and their families. Filing a claim through a trust fund is not the same as filing a mesothelioma lawsuit, but our attorneys have extensive experience in this area of law and can help you navigate the complex process.
How much is my mesothelioma case worth?
Every case we handle is different, and the amount of compensation we demand for you will be based on the damages you and your family have suffered. Our dedicated attorneys will take into consideration your past and future medical expenses, lost wages, diminished earning capacity, pain and suffering, etc., to calculate what maximum compensation should be in your claim.
Will I need to travel if I file a lawsuit?
No. We will meet with you in your home. Most cases are settled without ever going to court. And even if your case does go to trial, we will make the arrangements so that you never have to travel to appear in court.
Who decides whether to settle or go to trial?
You make that decision. Our lawyers will discuss all settlement offers with you throughout the process and explain your options. However, it is ultimately up to you to determine what is best for you and you family.
Choosing a Mesothelioma Attorney
Selecting the best mesothelioma attorney to represent you and your family in an asbestos lawsuit is an important decision. Because asbestos litigation is a very specialized area of law, it is crucial that you choose a lawyer with significant experience successfully handling these complex cases.
When you choose the dedicated asbestos lawyers at Belluck & Fox to handle your case, you can feel confident that you are in good hands. For years, mesothelioma patients and families have recommended our firm because:
- Our asbestos law firm has a long track record of securing top results for people who have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, lung cancer and other asbestos-related diseases.
- Our trusted legal team has already done a majority of the legwork in terms of researching and collecting evidence on the companies that manufactured asbestos products and the jobsites where the dangerous materials were commonly used.
- Our compassionate lawyers have a true understanding of the serious medical issues mesothelioma patients face, and we can connect you with the best mesothelioma experts in the field for treatment.
- Our respected law firm has a large network of medical professionals and other specialists who can provide expert testimony in support of your mesothelioma claim.
- Our knowledgeable lawyers will help you explore all the possible sources of compensation beyond a lawsuit, including bankruptcy trust fund claims, veterans’ benefits, Social Security Disability benefits and workers’ compensation.
- Everyone at our firm, from the partners to the receptionists, have the utmost respect and compassion for clients, and it shows in everything we do.
- Our attorneys communicate regularly with clients to give case updates and answer questions. We are always available to talk.
Our law firm is ready to evaluate your case in a free consultation today. We will not charge anything upfront to begin work on your case. In fact, you only pay us if and when we recover money for you. Call or contact us online today to get started.
Mesothelioma Lawsuit Process
At Belluck & Fox, we work with patients and their families to review all of your options for pursuing mesothelioma compensation. Although not every case will require filing a lawsuit, we feel it is important for clients to have a general understanding of the process so they know what to expect.
Get to know our lawyers and discuss your options during a free case consultation. One of our firm’s partners will meet with you wherever is most convenient ─ at home or in a treatment facility. We will talk about your diagnosis, what types of treatment you are pursuing, and your work history or military service.
Research and Investigation
Our mesothelioma lawyers will open an investigation to start building your case. A mesothelioma diagnosis can come decades after asbestos exposure, so we will take detailed notes on where you worked or served. We will also review what you remember about the types of products you handled or worked around. Our goal is to determine which asbestos companies are responsible for your exposure.
Filing a Complaint
Once we have gathered the evidence, we will file a complaint with the court. In this complaint, we will provide details about your mesothelioma diagnosis and t