Top-Ranked Distracted Driving Accidents Attorney in New York - We Treat our Clients with Compassion
Getting behind the controls of a heavy machine that weighs 4 tons or more is a huge responsibility. Yet drivers don’t always take this responsibility as seriously as they should. It only takes one moment of distraction to cause a crash that results in a lifetime of pain and suffering.
All too often, our attorneys find themselves helping distracted driving accident victims and their families put their lives back together after a serious crash that could have easily been prevented.
These cases are so frustrating because we know the at-fault driver put something as trivial as a text message above the life and well-being of our clients. That’s why our aggressive New York car accident lawyers demand maximum compensation in distracted driving cases, including payment for:
- All your past, current and future medical expenses
- The cost to repair or replace your motor vehicle
- Lost income and reduced earning capacity if your ability to work is affected down the line
- The physical, emotional, and psychological pain and suffering you have endured
At Belluck & Fox, our respected distracted driving accident lawyers have more than two decades of experience fighting for the rights of crash victims and their families. In fact, our nationally respected personal injury team has negotiated full settlements and won sizeable jury awards totaling almost $1 billion in compensation for our deserving clients.
Contact our law firm today to schedule a free consultation with our compassionate legal team. Know all about common questions about insurance after an accident and more. Our car accident attorneys can meet with you in one of our law offices, at your home, or in the hospital, wherever is convenient for you and your family. It will not cost you anything for us to start working on a claim for compensation, and we only get paid if we recover money for you.
How Our Attorneys Help Victims of Distracted Driving Accidents
Table of Contents
Although the moments, days, and first few weeks after a crash can seem chaotic, it is important that you speak with a knowledgeable New York auto accident lawyer as soon as possible. Important evidence can disappear quickly from a crash scene, and witnesses can forget crucial details as time goes on. That’s why our attorneys will want to start working on your case immediately.
When you contact the dedicated injury lawyers at Belluck & Fox, you can count on our skilled legal team to:
- Collect all the evidence from the scene of the accident, including photos of the vehicles, skid marks, road conditions, traffic signals, etc.
- Interview witnesses to the crash and document any observations about how the other driver may have been distracted
- Obtain a copy of the responding police officer’s accident report, which may indicate that the at-fault driver was distracted and/or faced fines
- Get access to any video footage (such as from traffic cameras or local business surveillance cameras) that may have captured the driver being distracted
- Get a copy of the driver’s cellphone record to see whether he or she was texting or talking at the time of the crash
- Hire accident reconstruction experts to piece together what happened at the crash scene
- Keep track of your medical records and consult with specialists in order to thoroughly document your injuries
- Determine every potential source of compensation in your auto accident claim
- Take over all communication related to the accident, keeping insurance adjusters and anyone else from hassling you
The insurance company may try to convince you that you can negotiate a distracted driving accident settlement on your own. But know this: The insurance company is only interested in protecting its bottom line, which means keeping your payout as low as possible. The insurer may offer you a settlement that seems to meet your needs right now, but it will not take into account any of the future costs you will face related to the accident.
You need a skilled and aggressive personal injury attorney to thoroughly assess the damages in your case and argue for the full and fair compensation you deserve. Contact Belluck & Fox today to discuss your motor vehicle accident claim and learn how we can help you.
NY Distracted Driving Laws
New York has tough laws aimed at preventing distracted driving. The state has banned the use of handheld cellphones and other portable electronic devices while driving.
A “portable electronic device” covers a wide range of potential distractions, including handheld cellphones, personal digital assistants (PDAs), electronic games, laptop computers, handheld devices with mobile data access, broadband personal communication devices, two-way messaging devices, pagers and portable computing devices.
The N.Y. Department of Motor Vehicles warns drivers that it is illegal to use a handheld device to:
- Talk, such as on a handheld cellphone
- Check or send email
- Check or compose text messages
- Browse webpages
- Play games
- Take, view or send photos
Although New York’s distracted driving law is focused on curbing the use of handheld cellphones and other devices, there are many other ways that drivers can be distracted. Any activity that takes a driver’s hands off the wheel, eyes off the road, or mind off the duties of driving can prove dangerous.
Other Types of Distracted Driving
There is no way to put together a comprehensive list of distracted driving activities. However, many crashes can be traced back to some common distractions. In addition to the irresponsible use of cellphones, drivers may be distracted by:
- Adjusting the GPS
- Changing the music
- Drinking or eating in the car
- Grooming or putting on makeup
- Talking with passengers
- Interacting with pets
Every driver who chooses to get behind the wheel takes on a duty to other motorists. When a driver prioritizes small distractions over the safety of others, resulting in a serious crash, that driver should be held responsible.
Distracted Driving Statistics
Despite the widespread public campaigns to put a stop to distracted driving, preventable motor vehicle accidents continue to occur throughout New York and across the United States. Distracted driving accident statistics show that:
- 3,477 people were killed and about 391,000 were injured in distracted driving crashes throughout the U.S. in 2015.
- 160 people were killed and more than 33,000 were injured in crashes in New York that were caused by “driver inattention/distraction” in 2015.
- From 2011 to 2016, New York saw an increase of 918 percent in tickets for texting while driving.
- Taking your eyes off the road for two or more seconds doubles the risk of a crash or near crash.
- Inattention due to driver drowsiness quadruples the risk of a motor vehicle crash or near crash.
People who decide to text or engage in other distractions while driving think they are the exception to the rule, that they can manage distractions without causing a crash. The truth is: Anyone can become a statistic.
We Stand Strong for the Rights of Accident Victims
At Belluck & Fox, we have seen the devastation that victims and families face after a serious distracted driving accident. Victims may suffer from catastrophic injuries that leave them permanently disabled. In the worst cases, families struggle to cope with the loss of a loved one after a fatal crash.
Our compassionate NYC injury attorneys are here to help. We work closely with crash victims to demand the full and fair compensation they need to recover. We also help families pursue justice through a wrongful death claim when necessary. Our team works tirelessly to take the pressure off our clients so they can focus on what’s important after a crash ─ getting their lives back on track.
Contact our top New York car accidents lawyers today to schedule a free consultation and let us get to work on your case.