The popularity of rideshares like Uber is growing at a rapid rate. While rideshare services are a convenient way for many people to travel, there are also increasing risks as the industry expands. A rising number of Uber vehicles are involved in traffic accidents.
An Uber accident can have a profound impact on a person’s life. Even what some might describe as a minor crash can still be a very frightening event. An auto accident can leave you with lasting injuries, both physical and emotional.
Victims who are coping with the aftermath of an Uber accident often face expensive medical bills, missed work and even lifelong disabilities. Unfortunately, insurance companies do not always make it easy for the worthiest and most deserving claimants to obtain compensation for their losses.
The attorneys at Belluck & Fox refuse to accept that an innocent person should be forced to live with the consequences of someone else’s carelessness. Our attorneys aggressively hold negligent Uber drivers accountable for their actions. If you’ve been hurt in an Uber accident, contact us to speak with an attorney right away. The call is free, and there’s no obligation.
Table of Contents
What Are My Rights as an Uber Passenger?
As the passenger of a rideshare vehicle, you have a number of rights.
- First, you always have the right to a sober and safe driver. If you suspect your Uber driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, demand that he or she stop the vehicle. Get out of the car and report it to the company and law enforcement right away. But whatever you do, do not ride with an impaired driver.
- Second, you have a right to a driver who follows company rideshare policies. This means that you receive proper billing, using the best routes, without unnecessary risks to your safety.
- Finally, if you are injured in an Uber accident, you have the right to pursue compensation for your injuries.
Who Is Liable ― the Driver or Uber?
Who is responsible for paying Uber accident claims? It all depends on the facts.
- If the Uber driver was logged on to the app and waiting for a rider, the company provides liability coverage, personal injury protection (PIP) and uninsured motorist coverage.
- If the driver was transporting a rider, Uber provides $1.25 million in liability protection, $50,000 in PIP coverage and up to $1.25 million in uninsured motorist coverage.
- If the driver was not logged on, his or her own auto insurance coverage will apply.
- If another party caused the wreck (e.g., pedestrian, other motorist, motorcyclist, bicyclist), then their insurance will be responsible for covering the cost of injuries and related damage.
Under New York no-fault insurance laws, claimants are only able to file personal injury lawsuits if they meet the state’s serious injury threshold. If not, all compensation must come through insurance companies.
Generally, Uber is not directly responsible for causing an accident. There are certain exceptions in which the company could potentially have culpability for creating a hazardous situation or allowing a dangerous driver to operate an Uber. But these types of cases are rare.
What if An Uber Driver Hit My Car?
Keep in mind that Uber’s insurance covers more than just bodily injuries. If an Uber driver causes property damage, you have a right to pursue compensation for that as well. However, you should keep in mind that many times this can be a challenge to resolve because insurance companies may not appraise your property at the same value you do.
Recovering Compensation in a New York Uber Accident
If you are a passenger in an Uber vehicle during a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for a wide variety of damages, including:
- Past, future and current medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Rehabilitation costs
- Diminished earning capacity
- Cost of any assistive medical equipment (e.g., wheelchairs, walkers, etc.)
- Rental car costs
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Before accepting any sort of settlement offer, you should speak with an experienced attorney who will demand full and fair compensation for your injuries.
What If I Lost a Family Member in an Uber Accident?
If a loved one was killed in an Uber accident, you can seek compensation through a wrongful death claim. Although no amount of money can replace an individual, wrongful death compensation can cover funeral and burial costs, replace lost income and account for the pain and suffering that your family has endured as a result of the crash.
New York has a statute of limitations, or time limit, on how long family members have to file a wrongful death claim. Failure to file a claim within two years of your loved one’s death could permanently bar you from obtaining compensation. That’s why it’s essential to speak with an attorney right away if you’ve lost someone in an Uber accident.
Injured in an Uber Accident? Contact the Top-Rated Lawyers at Belluck & Fox
Belluck & Fox is a nationally recognized law firm with more than 25 years of legal experience. Our attorneys have dedicated their careers serving injured people and their families, both in New York and nationwide. Our skilled attorneys represent clients in injury cases ranging from auto accidents and catastrophic injuries to complex asbestos litigation and mesothelioma. We have the resources and manpower to handle even the most challenging cases.
Don’t trust your case to just any attorney — call a legal powerhouse right here in New York. Contact Belluck & Fox today, and speak with an attorney free of charge. We’ll only collect a fee if we recover compensation.