Trusted Wrongful Death Car Accident Lawyer in New York - We Serve Clients with Compassion
Wrongful Death from a Car Accident
Table of Contents
When you lose someone you love in a car accident, you may feel like you have gone numb to the world. Sitting in a hospital, making funeral arrangements, staring at a will ─ it’s hard to believe these things are really happening. Then when you think about the other person who caused the accident, another emotion sets in ─ anger.
At Belluck & Fox, our recommended New York lawyers for car accidents have helped countless families get through this painful time. With more than 20 years of experience, our dedicated legal team will demand justice for your loved one and compensation to help you pay for all the expenses related to the fatal car accident. Over the years, our skilled attorneys have secured more than $1 billion for clients and their families.
We know that no amount of money can make your family feel whole again. However, you shouldn’t have to bear the financial burdens caused by someone else’s negligence. And in the end, you may find that a sense of justice served brings some comfort to you.
Schedule a free case consultation with our experienced attorneys today to learn how we can help with your wrongful death claim. We have New York office that you can visit today.
How an Attorney Can Help After a Fatal Car Accident
Dealing with the aftermath of a fatal car accident can be overwhelming. You may be caught up sorting through your loved one’s paperwork and belongings, as well as trying to handle the details of a funeral. Meanwhile, important discussions with the insurance companies are looming over you.
Our seasoned New York attorneys are here to take some of the burden off you and your family. When we pursue a wrongful death claim after a car accident, you can trust that our team will:
- Serve as a buffer between you and the insurance companies. Insurance companies can be extremely insensitive. Especially when they know you have a strong claim, they may try to hound your family to settle for a low amount while you are in the midst of grieving. Our attorneys will manage all communication with the insurance companies and the at-fault party to protect your family during this difficult time.
- Establish who has a right to pursue compensation through a wrongful death claim. In New York, an appointed representative of your loved one’s estate is the one files the wrongful death claim. However, that person is not necessarily the one who will receive the compensation. When we review your case, our attorneys will explain the process and identify who could receive compensation. Generally, this could be a surviving spouse, children, parents, or siblings of the deceased.
- Determine the amount of compensation you should demand. Our detail-oriented attorneys will account for all expenses related to your loved one’s death, including medical and funeral expenses, lost wages, and all other monetary losses. In addition, we will review your option for filing a separate claim for damages for the pain and suffering your loved one experienced before passing.
- Gather strong evidence to support your wrongful death claim. New York has strict laws on what you must prove in a wrongful death claim, and our experienced attorneys will gather extensive evidence to show the at-fault party acted negligently and that those actions led to your loved one’s death.
- Keep you informed about the progress of your case. Our attorneys are always available to answer any questions you may have. And you can trust that we will keep you updated on your claim every step of the way.
If you have lost a loved one in an auto accident and need advice on pursuing a wrongful death claim, contact our skilled attorneys today. We will review your case for free, and we do not charge any fees upfront to start working on your claim. Instead, we recover legal fees only if and win we secure compensation in your case.
Types of Compensation for Fatal Car Accidents
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident in New York, our compassionate attorneys can discuss all of your options for pursuing compensation from the at-fault party. As part of a wrongful death claim, we can pursue:
- Costs related to your loved one’s funeral and burial
- Medical bills related to caring for your loved one before death
- Wages and benefits lost from the time your loved one was injured to the time of death
- Compensation for the loss of support and services your loved one had provided
- Inheritance lost by your loved one’s surviving children
- Compensation for the children’s loss of nurturing, guidance, and care
- Punitive damages, which are awarded in rare cases to punish the at-fault party for extreme misconduct
Although survivors cannot pursue damages fortheir own pain and suffering, our dedicated attorneys can help you file a claim on behalf of the estate to pursue damages for the pain and suffering your loved one endured before passing.
Causes of Fatal Car Accidents
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles reports that more than 1,000 people died in car accidents in 2014. Some of the common causes of fatal car accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
It’s infuriating that so many of these fatalities could have been prevented. Negligence on the part of a driver or an auto parts manufacturer is completely unacceptable, and our attorneys are committed to pursuing justice in these tragic cases.
Wrongful Death Statute of Limitations in New York
It may seem harsh that you have lost a loved one forever, yet you have a time limit on filing a claim for compensation. However, in New York, you have two years from the date of death to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Although that window does give you time to grieve, it is still important to contact a skilled wrongful death attorney as soon as possible to get started on your case. Our compassionate attorneys will work efficiently to collect evidence and build a strong claim for compensation.
Contact Belluck & Fox for a Free Consultation
If you are ready to discuss what type of compensation you may be entitled to after losing a loved one in a car accident, our New York wrongful death attorneys are here for you. We will review your case for free, with no obligations. In addition, you will not pay any attorneys’ fees unless and until we recover compensation for you.
If you have lost a loved one in a car accident, just the thought of seeking legal justice may be overwhelming. Our expert NYC attorneys can take this burden from you during your difficult time.
Call or fill out our online form to get started.