Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
New York City is very pedestrian-friendly, with its grid of sidewalks and easy access to shops, key destinations and public transportation. Unfortunately, it’s also where people walk into danger. That idea of pedestrians “always having the right of way” seems to do little to protect people against negligent and careless drivers.
For more than two decades, the experienced NYC personal injury lawyers at Belluck & Fox have represented pedestrians who were needlessly put into harm’s way, as well as people who lost loved ones because of serious pedestrian accidents. If you or a family member has been hurt in a pedestrian traffic crash, you need to learn about your right to compensation. Our New York City law firm can help:
Our tenacious litigators have secured more than $1 billion for our clients and their families. Our top-rated personal injury attorneys have earned Belluck & Fox many professional honors, including being recognized for Largest Verdicts of the Year in The National Law Journal and being well-regarded among peer rankings such as Best Lawyers, Super Lawyers and Martindale-Hubbell.
We’re tough in holding negligent parties accountable but compassionate to our clients. We understand that people who have been seriously hurt because of a pedestrian accident face intense struggles to heal. That’s why we shoulder the burden of pursuing compensation, handling the finer details of gathering evidence and keeping track of important deadlines in your case.
We conduct in-depth investigations and enlist teams of experts to construct a strong case on your behalf. Our skilled pedestrian accident attorneys in NYC frequently call upon medical specialists, accident reconstruction professionals and financial experts to explain how seriously you were injured, the total damages you have suffered and who should be held accountable.
If you have lost a family member or been severely hurt in a pedestrian accident in New York City, please contact us today to learn how we can help fight for the justice you deserve. At Belluck & Fox, we work on a contingency fee basis, which means we do not charge anything for a case evaluation. In fact, you only pay legal fees if and when we recover compensation for you.
A knowledgeable NYC pedestrian accident attorney from our firm can meet with you in your home or at the hospital anywhere in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island or Queens.
How Our NYC Law Firm Can Help After a Car and Pedestrian Accident
Table of Contents
- 1 How Our NYC Law Firm Can Help After a Car and Pedestrian Accident
- 2 How Compensation Works in New York City Pedestrian Accident Cases
- 3 Damages We Pursue After Pedestrian Accidents in NYC
- 4 Statute of Limitations on Pedestrian Accident Injury Claims in New York
- 5 Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in New York City
- 6 When a Pedestrian Is Blamed for an Accident in New York City
- 7 How Much Does It Cost to Hire a NYC Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
- 8 Contact Our NYC Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Today for a Free Consultation
After a serious crash, you should be focused on healing, not worrying about arguing with insurance companies or their aggressive legal teams. Leave that to the experienced personal injury lawyers at Belluck & Fox.
You can trust our top-rated pedestrian accident lawyers to look after your rights by:
- Taking on insurance companies that try to minimize what has happened to you. Insurance company adjusters and lawyers often lowball accident victims with a compensation offer, even when the victim has a great case. They will also try to shift blame unfairly in your direction to reduce a payout. We have seen the games they play, so we know how to build a solid strategy for beating them.
- Identifying and pursing all possible compensation sources. Especially in a place as large as New York City, not all pedestrian accidents involve individual drivers. Did a taxi, a bus or other on-the-job vehicle strike you? We could seek compensation from the company or government entity behind that driver. If the vehicle that hit you was unsafe because of a faulty or defective part, we could file a claim against the manufacturer. We’ll also comb through your insurance policy to determine what coverage is available.
- Thoroughly assessing damages to determine what full and fair compensation should be. Once the cast comes off or the stitches come out, your injuries aren’t over. Perhaps you need physical therapy or vocational training — even psychological counseling. Injuries from a pedestrian accident can cause you to adapt to a whole new lifestyle, not to mention cope with lost wages and ongoing pain and suffering.
- Building a strong wrongful death case if the worst occurs. If you’re grieving over the death of a loved one after a pedestrian crash, you don’t need the added stress of dealing with ruthless insurance companies. Our compassionate New York City wrongful death attorneys will handle your claim with sensitivity and respect during this difficult time.
Schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation today and learn how we can help you and your family fight for the justice you deserve after a tragic pedestrian accident. Call us at (212) 681-1575, or fill out our online form to get started.
How Compensation Works in New York City Pedestrian Accident Cases
A pedestrian involved in a traffic crash is subject to New York’s “no-fault” auto insurance laws, but being on foot makes a huge difference. Here’s how:
- An injured pedestrian can recoup medical expenses, lost wages, and other reasonable costs from the insurance of the at-fault motorist or motorists involved. An injured pedestrian also can access any available supplemental insurance coverage.
- Even though the pedestrian was not in a vehicle, an injured pedestrian can cover related expenses by tapping into his or her own auto insurance policy, or the policy of a relative who was part of his or her household at the time of the incident.
- In a situation where the pedestrian cannot tap into his or her own policy, and if he or she does not have access to the motorist’s insurance information — such as in a hit-and-run — the accident victim can file a claim with New York State’s Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corp.
- If public or private infrastructure problems, such as potholes, played a part in the crash, the injured pedestrian can seek damages from a responsible government body or property owner.
In New York City, filing claims for compensation after a serious pedestrian accident can be extremely complicated. That’s why it’s valuable to have an experienced NYC pedestrian accident lawyer in your corner.
Contact the savvy legal team at Belluck & Fox today to learn about your legal options and the various time limits that may affect your case.
Damages We Pursue After Pedestrian Accidents in NYC
During your initial free consultation, our New York City pedestrian accident lawyers will review the different types of compensation we can seek in your situation. Depending on your circumstances, here are some options we might pursue:
- Payment for lost wages and diminished earning capacity in the future
- Compensation for past and future medical bills related to your injuries
- Awards for any pain and suffering you have endured
- Punitive damages, in cases where the at-fault party showed extreme misconduct or even malicious behavior
We believe that you shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s mistakes. Let us help you demand the compensation you deserve after a serious pedestrian accident in NYC. Call us at (212) 681-1575, or fill out our online form to schedule a free case consultation.
Statute of Limitations on Pedestrian Accident Injury Claims in New York
Under state law, there’s a statute of limitations, or time limit, on filing personal injury claims in New York City. The standard limit for claims involvingcar accidents, including pedestrian accidents, is three years for those who suffered a personal injury or two years for crashes involving wrongful death.
In some instances, you may have as little as 90 days to file a claim. Insurance companies have other deadlines that need to be met, as well.
That’s why it’s crucial to talk to an attorney as soon as possible after a crash. Although you might think you have plenty of time to file a claim, it takes time to build a strong case, and other factors can come into play. The longer you wait, the more evidence can disappear, the more memories can become foggy, and the more difficult your case can become.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in New York City
From the time we learned to cross the street as children, we’ve likely heard that drivers must yield to pedestrians — but we all know that isn’t what often happens. A New York City Pedestrian Safety Study & Action Plan report from 2010 noted that 36 percent of vehicle-versus-pedestrian accidents were blamed on drivers’ failure to do this.
That same report found that pedestrians account for 52 percent of all traffic fatalities in New York City and 33 percent of all severe injuries.
Other top causes of pedestrian accidents listed in the report include:
- Motor vehicle lane changes from cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
- Turning vehicles, particularly involving left turns
- Driver inattention or driver distraction
- Drivers impaired by alcohol
- Pedestrians crossing against signals
When a Pedestrian Is Blamed for an Accident in New York City
Motorists are obligated to watch for pedestrians and to take action to ensure their safety. Drivers must yield the right of way, whether that means slowing down or even stopping for a pedestrian crossing the street. Drivers are expected to warn pedestrians that they are approaching by honking the horn, especially if there’s danger of an accident. Motorists also must be cautious when approaching a child or an area with children, as well as a confused or incapacitated adult in or near the roadway.
Pedestrians have rules to follow, too. They are expected to cross at intersections with the lights and in crosswalks. They also must face traffic while walking along a road.
Unfortunately, it’s common for a motorist involved in a pedestrian accident to try to blame the victim. In cases involving serious injury, an independent accident investigation will be needed in order for a pedestrian to hold a reckless or careless driver accountable. At Belluck & Fox, our top-ranked legal team can conduct this investigation and advocate for maximum compensation from a negligent driver who has harmed you or someone you love.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a NYC Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
Belluck & Fox takes pedestrian accident cases on a contingency fee basis. This means you do not have to pay anything for us to start working on your claim. We collect legal fees only if and when we recover compensation for you. Our contingency fee would be a percentage of that compensation.
Contact Our NYC Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Today for a Free Consultation
Call our Manhattan law office today at (212) 681-1575 to schedule a free evaluation with our trustworthy NYC personal injury attorneys, or fill out our online form to learn how we can help you and your family pursue the justice you deserve.
You are welcome to visit our Midtown office at 546 5th Ave., 5th Floor, New York, NY 10036. Or an experienced lawyer can meet with you anywhere that is most convenient.