Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
If you fear that your elderly parent or loved one has been the victim of nursing home neglect or abuse, please contact the NYC nursing home abuse lawyers at Belluck & Fox now.
When you take action to protect a vulnerable loved one, you may also prevent others from suffering the same type of abuse in the future. Your advocacy can make a difference.
Top-Rated Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in NYC
Table of Contents
- 1 Top-Rated Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in NYC
- 2 Legal Help for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Victims in NYC
- 3 How to Report Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse in New York City
- 4 What to Expect After You File an Abuse Report
- 5 Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- 6 Talk to a Trusted NYC Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Today
When it comes time for your parent or elderly loved one to move into a nursing home, you trust that the facility management and everyone who works there will treat your family member with compassion and respect. Unfortunately, that does not always happen.
Nursing home neglect and abuse is a serious problem in New York City and throughout the United States. Elderly victims are extremely vulnerable, at the mercy of nursing home staff for their food, medication, mobility and basic needs. Abuse and neglect can lead to life-threatening injuries and even death.
The compassionate NYC nursing home abuse attorneys at Belluck & Fox are committed to helping families protect their loved ones and remove them from dangerous situations. We hold negligent nursing homes accountable for the harm they cause, and we demand maximum compensation for victims and their families. Call our NYC law firm today at (212) 681-1575 to set up a free consultation about your case.
Why Choose Our NYC Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys?
- Top-rated NYC personal injury law firm with more than two decades of experience successfully handling nursing home abuse and neglect claims
- Resources to investigate large NYC nursing home facilities and thoroughly document abuses
- Dedicated to fighting for the best interests of victims of nursing home neglect and abuse
- Highly recommended by former clients and trusted legal professionals
- Top-ranked lawyers who are focused on providing top-quality representation and compassionate customer service
- Committed to maintaining good communication with clients for the duration of the legal process, so families always know what is happening with their case
Legal Help for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Victims in NYC
If you suspect a loved one is being abused or neglected in a New York City nursing home, you should know that legal help is available. At Belluck & Fox, our experienced NYC nursing home abuse lawyers will fight tirelessly to protect your loved one. Our legal team can assist you in filing a complaint with the State of New York and advocating for your family member’s rights and best interests throughout the investigation.
Some of the common types of nursing home abuse complaints we help with include:
- Accidents that cause injuries, such as falls
- Changes in a resident’s health that were not addressed properly or in a timely manner
- Inadequate supervision of nursing home staff
- Issues arising from the administration of medicine
- Intentional physical, mental or psychological abuse of a nursing home resident
- Problems with proper housekeeping and maintenance
- Issues related to admission or discharge
In addition to the claim we help you file with the state, our NYC personal injury attorneys can demand compensation for the damages your loved one suffered as a result of the abuse or neglect. We can pursue payment for medical expenses and future care related to the injuries, as well as pain and suffering.
In the most tragic cases, our nursing home abuse attorneys in NYC demand justice for families who have lost loved ones due to nursing home abuse or neglect. We can file a wrongful death claim to hold the at-fault party(s) accountable and pursue compensation to help ease your family’s financial burdens.
No matter what you’re facing, you should know that you are not alone in this fight. A dedicated NYC nursing home abuse attorney from Belluck & Fox can review your case for free and answer all your questions. We will work quickly to identify who is to blame for the abuse or neglect, whether it’s a staff member, a manager, the facility as a whole, or the company that owns it. Then we will thoroughly document the damages and aggressively pursue maximum compensation.
How to Report Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse in New York City
Do not hesitate to report your suspicions of abuse or neglect at an NYC nursing home facility. The New York State Department of Health takes these allegations very seriously, and it will launch an investigation into the incident and the facility. Your actions could ultimately save many vulnerable elderly people from suffering further abuse.
You have two options for reporting nursing home neglect or abuse in New York:
File an abuse report online: You can make a complaint online through the New York State Department of Health website. You should be able to provide the address of the nursing home, as well as your loved one’s room number.
File a report by phone: You can file a report of abuse or neglect by calling the Nursing Home Complaint hotline at 1-888-201-4563. This line is answered from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, but callers can leave messages after hours.
What to Expect After You File an Abuse Report
Once you make a complaint, the New York State Department of Health is tasked with reviewing the allegations and determining next steps. Investigators from the Department of Health may visit the nursing home, conduct interviews, review medical records and collect other documents relevant to the case.
If the department determines that the nursing home failed to meet state and/or federal regulations or has violated the law, the state will issue a citation. Then, the nursing home must file a corrective action plan that the Department of Health will find acceptable. The facility is required to take action and follow the plan to correct the issue(s) identified by the department.
The process of pursuing a complaint through the state can take time, and the thought of a long fight can be especially frustrating when you worry your loved one is in danger. Contact a knowledgeable NYC nursing home abuse lawyer at Belluck & Fox now to learn how we can help. We do not charge anything for an initial consultation, and we only get paid if we secure compensation in your case.
Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
It is difficult to imagine that someone could be callous enough to abuse or neglect a vulnerable elderly person. And it can be tempting to want to believe staff members who offer explanations for nursing home injuries. However, you should be aware of the warning signs of elder abuse or neglect and report any suspicions you have.
Some of the common signs of elder abuse and elder neglect include:
- Pressure marks
- Broken bones
- Unattended medical needs
- Poor hygiene
- Weight loss
- Unexplained withdrawal from normal activities
- Sudden change in alertness
- Unusual depression
- Strained or tense relationships with staff or other residents
Ask questions if you notice any of these signs, and make sure to document your concerns in writing, such as in an email to the nursing home director including the date and time of the alleged incident and the injuries you witnessed. You should also take photos of any injuries your loved one has suffered. All of this can serve as evidence in your claim.
Please contact the experienced nursing home injury lawyers at Belluck & Fox now if you are worried about the safety of your elderly loved one. Our respected personal injury attorneys in New York City stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.
What You Need to Know About Nursing Home Regulations in NY
The New York Department of Health is the agency responsible for overseeing and investigating reports of abuse or neglect at nursing homes across the state. In addition, the Patient Abuse Reporting Law requires that all nursing home workers ─ as well as all licensed professionals, including those who are not employees of the nursing home ─ report any allegations of mistreatment, abuse or neglect.
The N.Y. Department of Health is responsible for investigating nursing home abuse allegations and imposing sanctions against facilities that are found guilty and individuals who fail to report mistreatment, neglect or abuse.
Nursing Home Residents’ Rights in New York
The Department of Health maintains that all nursing home residents in New York have the right to:
- Dignity, respect and a comfortable living environment
- Quality care and treatment without discrimination
- Freedom to make independent decisions
- The safeguard of property and money
- Safeguards in admission, transfer and discharge
- Privacy in communications
- Participation in organizations and activities of their choosing
- An easy-to-use and responsive complaint procedure
- Ability to exercise all of these rights without fear of reprisals
The scary truth is that in many cases, nu