NYC Truck Accident Lawyers
Collisions involving large commercial trucks generally result in serious, if not fatal, injuries — and no wonder. These vehicles typically weigh 20 to 30 times more than standard passenger cars, placing drivers and passengers in these cars at a much greater risk of injury.
If you or a family member has been injured in a crash involving a large truck, the highly regarded New York City personal injury lawyers at Belluck & Fox can help. Our tenacious attorneys have recovered more than $1 billion in much-needed compensation for our deserving clients, and our success has earned our team recognition from professional legal organizations such as Martindale-Hubbell, Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers.
You can trust our experienced New York truck accident attorneys to handle your case with decades of experience and compassion. Here’s how:
- We’ll assess your case at no charge and develop a smart legal strategy to pursue the maximum compensation possible.
- We’ll identify every party that could be held accountable in your case, from the truck driver to the truck’s owner to the company responsible for the vehicle’s maintenance.
- We’ll assemble a team of experts — medical professionals, accident reconstruction specialists and financial professionals — to explain what caused the accident and how your injuries will impact your life in the future.
- We’ll negotiate aggressively with insurance companies, as well as prepare to advocate for you in court should the at-fault parties not agree to a full and fair settlement.
- We’ll treat you and your family with the respect and personalized attention you deserve.
Contact us today at (212) 681-1575 or by using our online form to schedule a free case consultation. Let our knowledgeable New York City truck accident lawyers make a difference for you.
Who Can Be Held Liable After a Truck Accident in New York City?
Table of Contents
- 1 Who Can Be Held Liable After a Truck Accident in New York City?
- 2 Compensation in an NYC Truck Accident Injury Claim
- 3 Why Are Truck Accidents More Complex Claims?
- 4 Common Causes of Truck Crashes in NYC
- 5 Common Types of Trucks Involved in Accidents in NYC
- 6 Contact Our NYC Truck Accident Law Firm for a Free Consultation
A lot of factors come into play when determining liability in a truck accident. An array of federal and state regulations govern how big rigs operate, plus these vehicles have complicated operating systems. While the particular circumstances surrounding your crash will need to be investigated, our New York City truck accident attorneys may be able to pursue compensation from many parties, such as:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- Corporations that hired the driver or trucking company
- Owners of the tractor or trailer, if different from the trucking company
- Trucking company vendors that may have had a role in loading the truck unsafely
- Manufacturers and distributors responsible for defective vehicle parts or equipment
- A garage or mechanic who did not properly maintain the truck, or who failed to identify a maintenance problem that contributed to the crash
- Drivers of other vehicles, if you were involved in a wreck with multiple vehicles
Regardless of the cause of the crash, the seasoned truck accident injury attorneys at Belluck & Fox will identify every possible avenue of much-needed compensation and build a strong case for you to receive the payment you deserve.
Compensation in an NYC Truck Accident Injury Claim
A skilled New York City truck accident attorney at Belluck & Fox will start by reviewing your case for free and explaining what types of compensation are available for you. Here’s an idea of what we typically pursue:
- Money for past, current and future injury-related medical expenses
- Payment for lost wages and diminished future earning capacity
- Compensation to replace or repair your motor vehicle
- Awards for accident-related pain and suffering
- Punitive damages (in extreme cases, where the at-fault party showed severe misconduct)
Our compassionate New York City wrongful death attorneys also can help you file a compensation claim for your family’s financial burdens if you lost a relative in a truck accident.
Contact us today by filling out our online form or by calling (212) 681-1575 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation to learn about your legal rights and how we can help.
Why Are Truck Accidents More Complex Claims?
It’s simple physics: The bigger and heavier the object, the more damaging the blow. Unfortunately, with truck crashes, passenger vehicles often are on the receiving end.
However, the severe damage isn’t the only factor that makes these crashes complicated. Cases involving tractor trailers, semis and other big rigs are a liability maze for several reasons:
- Truck crashes often involve multiple vehicles, severe injuries, even fatalities. That means more money on the line, and negotiations and litigation that are more of a war than a battle. You need a New York City truck accident law firm strong enough to take on teams of insurance company lawyers who represent large corporations, individuals, and manufacturers of truck parts.
- A truck driver isn’t the only one who can be held liable. Some 18-wheelers are leased, making the trucker an employee of the owner. Some drivers own their trucks and work under contract. Our attorneys will pursue compensation from all liable parties, including the trucking company, workers who loaded and unloaded the vehicle, and those who trained and supervised the driver.
- Defective auto parts or poor maintenance can also lead to a crash. When auto parts are defective or systems fail, the manufacturer or distributor can be held liable. We may also pursue compensation from the mechanic or garage that installed the part or failed to properly maintain the truck. Our 18-wheeler accident attorneys in NY are diligent in identifying anyone who could be held liable for defective parts or improper maintenance.
- There are strict federal and state regulations and local rules governing tractor-trailers. These cover number of miles driven, how many hours are spent driving, cargo specifications, and licensing for the hauling company and the driver. The experienced attorneys at Belluck & Fox have a thorough understanding of these complicated trucking regulations, including federal guidelines and those imposed by New York State.
- Semis have complex insurance requirements because of the huge potential costs and risks of property damage, injury and death. Our attorneys are prepared to navigate this layered coverage and negotiate with multiple insurance carriers to pursue the full and fair compensation you and your family deserve.
We at Belluck & Fox appreciate that trucking isn’t an easy job. We understand that trucking companies and drivers work hard to deliver the goods that keep this country running. Nevertheless, those who have been seriously hurt in an accident involving a large semi-truck often find it impossible to recover much-needed compensation from a web of insurance companies without the help of a skilled attorney.
Contact us now at (212) 681-1575 to set up a free case evaluation. Our dedicated attorneys can meet with you anywhere in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island, Queens or surrounding areas. We frequently meet with clients in their homes or at the hospital, anywhere that is most convenient.
Common Causes of Truck Crashes in NYC
Every truck accident case is different because of the drivers’ behavior, the vehicles involved and the circumstances surrounding the wreck. However, there are some common causes for truck crashes. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has identified several common factors in their Large Truck Crash Causation Study. Some of these include:
- Falling asleep or being physically impaired (such as having a seizure, a heart attack or other health issue)
- Inattentive or distracted driving
- Prescription or over-the-counter drug use
- Speeding or driving too fast for the road conditions
- Following other vehicles too closely or tailgating
- Driver panic or overcompensating
- Equipment failure, such as tire and brake problems
- Traffic flow interruption, such as congestion from another crash
- Unfamiliarity with the road or problematic road conditions
The skilled New York City truck accident lawyers at Belluck & Fox will launch a thorough investigation into your collision, including obtaining information from the trucker’s logs and the vehicle’s data recorder. That’s all a part of how we’ll determine exactly what caused the crash and who should be held liable for compensating you.
Common Types of Trucks Involved in Accidents in NYC
Belluck & Fox’s seasoned New York City car accident attorneys work with clients who have been injured in all types of crashes. We know that the type and size of the truck matters, as does the load it carries, whether explosive and corrosive cargo on tankers or unsecured loads on other types of trucks. For instance:
Tanker trucks have significant blind spots and high centers of gravity. In addition to the injuries caused by the collision itself, victims involved in an accident with a tanker truck may also face breathing hazards from spills or leaks of toxic loads.
Tractor-trailers (also known as 18-wheelers, semi-trailers, semis or big rigs) also have high centers of gravity and significant blind spots. Drivers must compensate for critical differences in weight, such as when they are driving without cargo or “bobtailing” without the trailer itself. In fact, tractor-trailers typically need 40 percent more time to stop than regular passenger automobiles.
Tow trucks are often considered a help, not a danger. However, improperly trained tow truck drivers can pose significant risks. What’s more, improperly secured vehicles on tow trucks can break loose and wreak havoc on the road.
Flatbed trucks can lose their loads because of dangerous driving, poor road conditions or the cargo being improperly secured.
Garbage and dump trucks
Garbage and dump trucks make frequent stops, operate in residential areas and have large blind spots. This makes them not only risky for other drivers but motorcyclists, pedestrians and bicyclists as well.
Contact Our NYC Truck Accident Law Firm for a Free Consultation
The last thing anyone should have to worry about after a serious truck accident is how to pay medical bills and other related expenses. Contact a knowledgeable truck accident lawyer at Belluck & Fox now to learn how we can help relieve that pressure and provide you with peace of mind.
Call our Manhattan law office today at (212) 681-1575, or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation. We are located at 546 5th Ave., 5th Floor, New York, NY 10036. Our law firm does not charge any fees upfront or out of pocket to begin working on your personal injury claim or wrongful death case. In fact, you only pay us if and when we recover compensation for the damages you and your family have suffered after a catastrophic truck crash.