NYC Construction Accident Lawyer
A construction job can be grueling, hard work compounded by the ever-present risk of injury that could keep you off-site for days, weeks, months, even permanently. Because of the complications of coordinating your work with dozens of subcontractors and tradespeople, it’s no wonder that even a small oversight can cause a big problem.
If you or a loved one has been seriously hurt on the job, our top-rated NYC construction accident lawyers can help you and your family pursue much-needed financial compensation, as well as peace of mind.
At Belluck & Fox, we have more than two decades of experience fighting for the rights of injured people and their families throughout New York City, and we have successfully handled all types of work injury cases. We understand that you can’t afford to pay for someone else’s mistake ─ and we believe that you shouldn’t have to.
At Belluck & Fox, our dedicated NYC construction accident law firm will:
- Provide a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your construction accident claim. We only charge legal fees if and when we secure compensation for you.
- Craft a savvy legal strategy to demand maximum compensation. Over the years, our nationally recognized attorneys have recovered more than $1 billion for injured clients and their loved ones.
- Treat you and your family with the respect and compassion that you deserve. We’re proud of our outstanding customer service. One client said of firm partner Joseph Belluck: “He was first of all comforting … so I didn’t feel that my husband was just ‘one of many clients’ but that Joseph cared to find out who my husband was.”
Don’t let an insurance company or your employer tell you what do. If you’ve been seriously injured on the job, trust that you can discuss your case honestly with our experienced New York City construction accident attorneys. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Construction Accident in NYC?
Table of Contents
- 1 Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Construction Accident in NYC?
- 2 You May Be Entitled to Payment Beyond Workers’ Compensation
- 3 How the Scaffold Law Affects Construction Site Injury Claims in NYC
- 4 Types of Compensation in NYC Construction Accident Claims
- 5 NYC Construction Accident FAQS
- 6 Common Causes of Construction Accidents in New York City
- 7 Common NYC Construction Accident Injuries
- 8 Our New York City Construction Accident Attorneys Are Here to Help You
Our legal team will thoroughly investigate the incident that caused your injury so we can identify every party that could be held responsible.
In our experience, the injured person in many construction site accidents is entitled to more than the typical workers’ compensation benefits.
Based on the circumstances in your case, we could demand compensation from:
- Construction site and property owners
- General contractors
- Vehicle drivers
- Manufacturers or distributors of defective equipment
It is crucial that you report any construction site accident to your supervisor and seek immediate medical treatment. You can then contact our NYC personal injury attorneys so we can conduct an investigation into what happened and determine who should be held accountable.
You May Be Entitled to Payment Beyond Workers’ Compensation
Under New York State law, workers who are injured on the job largely are limited to workers’ compensation relief, which addresses lost wages, medical expenses and death benefits. However, there may be additional options depending on the circumstances of an injury at a construction site.
Your compensation options will depend on the type of accident and who was at fault. For instance:
- New York’s “Scaffold Law” protects workers statewide who suffer injuries from falls and other height-related injuries. This law allows workers to seek compensation from contractors, owners and their agents.
- If the incident that injured you occurred because of dangerous or defective equipment, you may pursue compensation from the manufacturer or any other product distribution companies.
- If you were hurt in a motor vehicle accident at a New York City construction site, you may be able to pursue compensation through the driver’s auto insurance.
- If another subcontractor on site caused your accident, you may seek compensation from that person’s employer.
How the Scaffold Law Affects Construction Site Injury Claims in NYC
In 1885, as New York City’s skyscrapers took shape, the state took steps to protect those workers who were risking their lives to build the Big Apple’s high-rises. More than a century later, this measure, known as the “Scaffold Law,” still protects New York City construction workers’ rights to seek full and fair compensation after a catastrophic accident.
Under New York’s Scaffold Law, construction workers who are injured while “working at heights” or those who suffer “gravity-related injuries” can pursue payment in addition to a standard workers’ compensation claim.
Types of Compensation in NYC Construction Accident Claims
A serious injury can take a substantial toll on your life. Beyond the missed paychecks and hospital bills, you may no longer be able to enjoy certain activities you once loved. Your family also can suffer alongside you. Our New York City construction accident attorneys take a thorough approach to determining how much compensation we will seek on your behalf.
Some of the types of compensation we may advocate for include:
- Lost wages, including how this injury will affect your ability to work in the future
- Payment for past, current and future medical bills
- Restitution for pain and suffering
- Punitive damages, awarded in cases involving extreme misconduct
Schedule a free case evaluation today to talk to a respected construction accident lawyer in NYC.
NYC Construction Accident FAQS
Construction workers show up at the jobsite to make a living. Sadly, they sometimes they wind up with their lives forever changed by gruesome accidents. Some even die. If have been injured or lost a family member in an accident at a construction site in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens or Staten Island, the experienced and tenacious New York City attorneys at Belluck & Fox can help you.
When you schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable NYC construction accident attorney, we will review the details of your case and map out a strategy to pursue the maximum compensation you deserve.
We frequently answer questions like these from our clients:
Can undocumented workers file claims for compensation if they are hurt on the job in NYC?
Yes. Undocumented immigrant laborers have the same legal protections and paths to compensation as their coworkers, as long as the laborer did not provide an employer with false papers to get the job.
Can I file a wrongful death claim if I lost a family member in a fatal construction accident in NYC?
If your relative was killed in a construction accident, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim. These claims can be filed only by a personal representative of the victim’s estate, such as a spouse or another loved one named in a will.
Damages recovered through a wrongful death claim are distributed to survivors in compliance with New York State law or based on instructions provided in a will or trust.
I was hurt as a bystander at a construction site in New York City. Can I pursue compensation?
Negligence on the part of construction workers, property owners, contractors, project managers, vendors and others responsible for safety at a New York City construction site can lead to serious injuries for bystanders. People who visit or just pass by construction sites have the right to pursue compensation if they are hurt.
Talk to an experienced NYC construction accident lawyer today to learn more about your options.
If I have been diagnosed with an asbestos disease after being exposed on a construction site years ago, is it too late to pursue compensation?
Mesothelioma is a devastating cancer caused by asbestos. It can develop up to 60 years after a person was exposed to asbestos. The deadly mineral has also been shown to cause lung cancer, asbestosis and many other serious health conditions.
Construction sites throughout New York City used asbestos materials for years ─ and asbestos exposure is still a risk today as workers demolish and renovate older buildings that contain the carcinogen.
If you have been recently diagnosed with mesothelioma or another asbestos disease, you have a right to pursue compensation from those companies that failed to warn you of the dangers of asbestos, even if you were exposed to asbestos decades ago.
At Belluck & Fox, we’ve secured more than $1 billion for people who have become ill due to asbestos. Contact us for a free consultation, or download a free mesothelioma information package.
How much is my case worth?
The amount of compensation we will pursue in your construction accident case depends on a variety of factors, including: the severity of your injury; the amount of medical costs and rehabilitative expenses; the lost wages to date and expected loss of income down the line; any awards for pain and suffering, if warranted; and punitive damages for gross negligence or criminal wrongdoing.
At Belluck & Fox, our top-ranked construction accident attorneys in New York City are committed to pursuing the maximum compensation you deserve. Our experienced legal team will conduct an extensive investigation into your accident and thoroughly document your injury’s severity, including how it has affected your life.
How long will my case take?
Most cases resolve within 9 to 12 months. In fact, many claims end with a settlement offer before involving a jury. That said, some construction accident settlements are not reached until the trial has begun. There also are cases that must be fought all the way to a final jury verdict or judgment. Throughout the process, Belluck & Fox will stand by you to demand full and fair compensation for you and your family.
Common Causes of Construction Accidents in New York City
The most common kinds of construction accidents are known as the “Fatal Four.” The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics says these types of accidents accounted for about 60 percent of construction deaths in 2014. They are:
- Falls, such as from scaffolding or ladders
- Being struck by something, such as a falling object
- Electrical injuries or electrocution, such as shocks from defective equipment or unsafe grounding of electrical systems
- Being caught in, between, or under heavy objects or equipment such as a forklift or crane
Regardless of the type of construction accident in which you were injured, if negligence played a part, you should speak with an experienced construction accident lawyer in NYC to learn about your rights.
Common NYC Construction Accident Injuries
Construction site accidents can cause serious, life-threatening injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most common injuries incurred on construction sites are as follows:
- Vision loss
- Hearing loss
- Loss of limb or digit, including traumatic amputation
These types of injuries are extremely devastating and expensive to treat. They can prevent you from working and supporting your family. Contact us today to learn about the options for compensation to help get your life back on track.
Our New York City Construction Accident Attorneys Are Here to Help You
There are strict time limits for filing a compensation claim for people who have been hurt in a construction accident, or whose loved ones have died. The skilled New York City construction accident attorneys at Belluck & Fox know the details of these limits and can advise you on what’s needed to get started on your claim.
Let us fight for the justice you and your family deserve. Belluck & Fox’s Manhattan office is located in Midtown at 546 5th Ave., 5th Floor, New York, NY 10036. Our NYC injury attorneys are also available to visit with clients anywhere in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens and Staten Island.