If you’re concerned that an elderly parent or loved one has been the victim of nursing home neglect or abuse, please contact the Rochester nursing home abuse lawyers at Belluck & Fox right away.
When you take action to protect a loved one who is vulnerable, you may also be preventing others from experiencing the same type of abuse.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top-Rated Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Rochester
- 2 Why Choose Our Rochester Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys?
- 3 Legal Help for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Victims in Rochester
- 4 How to Report Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse in Rochester
- 5 What to Expect After You File an Abuse Report
- 6 Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- 7 What You Need to Know About Nursing Home Regulations in NY
- 8 Talk to a Trusted Rochester Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Today
Top-Rated Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Rochester
Moving a parent or elderly loved one into a nursing home is not an easy decision, but it helps to find a facility where the management and employees treat your loved one with compassion and respect. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always happen.
Nursing home neglect and abuse is a serious problem not only in Rochester but throughout the United States. Elderly people are extremely vulnerable and are often at the mercy of the staff of a nursing home for their medication, food, mobility and other basic needs. Neglect and abuse of the elderly can lead to life-threatening injuries and even death.
The compassionate Rochester nursing home abuse attorneys at Belluck & Fox are dedicated to helping families protect their loved ones and remove them from dangerous situations. We are committed to holding negligent nursing homes accountable for the harm they cause, and we demand maximum compensation for victims and their families. Call our Rochester personal injury law firm today at (585) 285-4070 to set up a free consultation about your family’s circumstances.
Why Choose Our Rochester Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys?
- Our top-rated Rochester personal injury law firm has more than 25 years of experience successfully handling claims of nursing home abuse and neglect.
- We have the resources necessary to investigate large Rochester nursing home facilities and thoroughly document such abuses.
- We are devoted to fighting for the best interests of victims of nursing home abuse and neglect.
- Our respected attorneys are highly recommended by former clients as well as trusted legal professionals.
- Our top-ranked lawyers are focused on providing compassionate customer service and quality representation.
- We maintain open communication with our clients for the duration of the legal process, so families always know what’s happening with their case.
Legal Help for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Victims in Rochester
If you suspect that a family member is being abused or neglected in a Rochester nursing home, we’re here to help. At Belluck & Fox, our experienced Rochester nursing home abuse lawyers will fight to protect your vulnerable loved one. Our legal team will assist you in filing a complaint with the State of New York for an official investigation and advocating for your relative’s rights and best interests.
Here are some of the common types of nursing home abuse complaints we help families with:
- Intentional physical, mental or psychological abuse
- Inadequate supervision of nursing home staff
- Incidents that cause injuries, such as falls
- Issues arising from administering medicine
- Changes in health that were not addressed in a timely manner or properly
- Problems with proper housekeeping and maintenance
- Issues related to admission or discharge
In addition to the complaint we help you file with the state, our Rochester personal injury attorneys can demand compensation for the damages your loved one suffered as a result of the neglect or abuse. We can seek payment for medical costs and future care related to your relative’s injuries, as well as pain and suffering.
In the most tragic cases, our nursing home abuse attorneys in Rochester also can pursue justice for families whose loved ones have died because of nursing home abuse or neglect. We can file a wrongful death claim to hold the at-fault party or parties accountable and demand compensation to ease your family’s financial burdens.
No matter what you’re facing, you’re not alone in this fight. A dedicated Rochester nursing home abuse attorney from Belluck & Fox will review your case for free and answer all your questions. We work quickly to identify who is to blame for such abuse or neglect, from a staff member or a manager to the facility as a whole and even the company that owns it.
How to Report Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse in Rochester
If you suspect abuse or neglect at a Rochester nursing home facility, don’t hesitate to contact the authorities. The New York State Department of Health takes these allegations seriously and will launch an investigation. Your action could prevent elderly people in addition to your loved one from suffering further abuse.
You have two options for reporting nursing home neglect or abuse in New York:
- File an abuse report online: The New York State Department of Health allows you to file a complaint online. You’ll need to provide the address of the facility, your loved one’s name, your own contact information and a description of what occurred.
- File a report by phone: You also can call the Nursing Home Complaint Hotline at (888) 201-4563. You can speak with an operator from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, but callers also can leave messages after hours.
What to Expect After You File an Abuse Report
The New York State Department of Health is tasked with reviewing the allegations in any complaint and determining its next steps. Typically, state investigators visit the nursing home, conduct interviews, review medical records and collect other relevant documents.
If the investigation determines that the nursing home failed to meet state or federal regulations or has violated the law, the state will issue a citation. The nursing home then must file a corrective action plan with the Department of Health.
The process of pursuing a complaint through the state can take time, and the thought of a long fight can be especially frustrating when you worry your loved one is in danger. At Belluck & Fox, a knowledgeable Rochester nursing home abuse attorney can help you navigate this process and identify ways to protect your relative. We do not charge anything for an initial consultation. In fact, we get paid only if we secure compensation in your case.
Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
It’s heart-rending to imagine that someone could be cold enough to abuse or neglect an elderly person. Likewise, it’s tempting to want to believe staff members of a facility who offer what seem like reasonable explanations for nursing home injuries. However, you always should be aware of the warning signs of elder abuse or neglect and report any suspicions.
- Some of the common signs of elder neglect and elder abuse include:
- Broken bones
- Pressure marks
- Unattended medical needs
- Poor hygiene
- Weight loss
- Sudden change in alertness
- Unexplained withdrawal from normal activities
- Strained or tense relationships with staff or other residents
- Unusual depression
Ask questions if you notice any of these signs, and make sure to document your concerns in writing, such as in an email to the nursing home director including the date and time of any alleged incident and what you witnessed. Take photos of any injuries your loved one exhibits. All of this can serve as evidence in your claim.
Please contact the experienced nursing home injury lawyers at Belluck & Fox now at (585) 285-4070 if you are worried about your elderly loved one’s safety. Our respected personal injury attorneys in Rochester are proud to stand up for those who cannot speak for themselves.
What You Need to Know About Nursing Home Regulations in NY
The New York Department of Health is the agency responsible for investigating reports of elder neglect or elder abuse at nursing homes statewide. In addition, the Patient Abuse Reporting Law requires that all workers in nursing homes ─ as well as all licensed professionals at these facilities, whether they’re employees or not ─ report any allegations of mistreatment, abuse or neglect.
The N.Y. Department of Health also imposes sanctions against facilities that are found guilty and individuals who fail to report neglect, abuse or other mistreatment.
Talk to a Trusted Rochester Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Today
At Belluck & Fox, our nursing home neglect lawyers in Rochester are passionate advocates for those who cannot fight for themselves. We take these cases personally, and we fight tenaciously for justice on behalf of vulnerable elderly people and their families.
Please call our law office today at (585) 285-4070 or fill out our online contact form to set up a free consultation. Our Rochester injury attorneys also can meet with you at our office at 160 Linden Oaks Drive, Suite B, Rochester NY 14625, or we can travel to your home or a nursing home to discuss your concerns.