Rochester Truck Accident Lawyers
With large commercial trucks weighing about 20 to 30 times more than standard passenger cars, it’s no wonder that collisions with these vehicles generally result in serious, if not fatal, injuries. Such an impact places both drivers and passengers at a much greater risk of catastrophic injury.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a crash involving a large truck, the highly regarded Rochester personal injury lawyers at Belluck & Fox can help. Our dedicated attorneys have recovered more than $1 billion in much-needed compensation over the years for our deserving clients. Our success has earned our team recognition from top-notch legal organizations such as Martindale-Hubbell, Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers.
You can trust our experienced truck accident attorneys in Rochester to handle your case with skill and compassion. At Belluck & Fox:
- We will review your case at no charge and develop a thoughtful legal strategy to pursue the maximum compensation available.
- Our team will identify every accountable party, from the truck driver to the truck’s owner to the company responsible for the truck’s maintenance.
- We will gather a team of experts — medical specialists, accident reconstruction experts, financial professionals, etc. — to explain what caused the crash and how your injuries will impact your life.
- Our lawyers will negotiate aggressively with insurance companies and prepare for court should the at-fault parties not agree to a fair and full settlement.
- We will treat you and your loved ones with the personalized attention and respect you deserve.
Please call us today at (585) 285-4070 or use our online form to schedule a free consultation. Let our knowledgeable Rochester truck accident lawyers make a difference for you.
Why Are Truck Accidents More Complex Claims?
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Are Truck Accidents More Complex Claims?
- 2 Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Rochester
- 3 Contact Our Rochester Truck Accident Lawyers for a Free Consultation
The bigger and heavier the object, the more damaging the blow. Sadly, when it comes to collisions involving large trucks, passenger vehicles are at a significant disadvantage.
Yet the severe damage involved isn’t the only factor that makes these crashes complex. Cases involving semis, tractor-trailers, and other big rigs are complicated for several reasons:
- Truck crashes typically involve multiple vehicles, severe injuries, even fatalities. That means more negotiations and litigation because of more money on the line. You need a Rochester truck accident law firm strong enough to take on teams of insurance company lawyers representing individuals, large corporations and manufacturers.
- A truck driver isn’t the only party who can be held liable in such a crash. If the trucker leases the rig, he or she is an employee of the owner. Other truckers own their trucks and work under a contract. Our attorneys are skilled at pursuing compensation from all liable parties, including trucking companies, workers who loaded and unloaded the cargo, and those who trained and supervised the truck driver.
- When auto parts are defective or mechanical systems fail, the manufacturer or distributor can be held liable. Our 18-wheeler accident attorneys in Rochester also may seek compensation from a garage or mechanic who installed the part or failed to maintain the truck properly.
- Strict federal and state regulations and local rules govern tractor-trailers. These cover the number of hours spent driving and the miles driven, licensing for the driver and hauling company, and cargo specifications. The experienced attorneys at Belluck & Fox understand complicated trucking regulations thoroughly.
- Because of the huge potential costs and risks of injury, property damage and death, semis have complex insurance requirements as well. Our attorneys know how to navigate this layered coverage and negotiate with multiple insurance carriers to find the fair and full compensation you and your family deserve.
At Belluck & Fox, we appreciate that trucking isn’t an easy job and that trucking companies and truckers deliver the goods that keep this country running. Nevertheless, we also understand that people who have been seriously hurt in a crash involving a large semi-truck often find it impossible to recover much-needed compensation without the help of experienced attorneys like ours.
Contact us now at (585) 285-4070 to set up a free case evaluation. Our attorneys are available to meet with you anywhere in Rochester or the surrounding areas. We often visit with clients where they find it most convenient, such as in their homes or at the hospital.
Who Can Be Held Liable After a Truck Accident in Rochester?
Many factors come into play when determining liability in an accident involving a tractor-trailer truck or another large commercial vehicle. Federal and state regulations specify how big rigs operate. These vehicles also have complicated mechanical systems. Depending upon the particular circumstances surrounding your crash, our Rochester truck accident attorneys may be able to seek compensation from a variety of parties, such as:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The company that hired the driver or trucking company
- The owners of the tractor or trailer, if different from the trucking company
- Vendors that may have had a role in loading the truck unsafely
- Drivers of other vehicles, if yours was a multiple-vehicle crash
- A mechanic or garage that did not properly maintain the truck, or that failed to identify a relevant maintenance problem
- Manufacturers and distributors responsible for defective equipment or vehicle parts
No matter the cause of the crash, the seasoned Rochester truck accident injury attorneys at Belluck & Fox will pinpoint every possible option for much-needed compensation and build a strong case for the payment you deserve.
Compensation in a Rochester Truck Accident Injury Claim
When you contact Belluck & Fox, a skilled Rochester truck accident attorney will review your case for free and explain the kinds of compensation that are available for you. Depending on the circumstances of your wreck, we may pursue the following:
- Payment for lost wages and diminished earning capacity in the future
- Money for past, current and future medical costs related to your injury
- Compensation to replace or repair your motor vehicle
- Awards for pain and suffering related to your injury
- Punitive damages (in extreme cases, where the at-fault party showed severe misconduct)
Our compassionate Rochester wrongful death attorneys also can help you file a compensation claim for your family’s financial burdens if you lost a relative in a truck accident.
Learn more about your legal rights and how we can help. Contact us today by filling out our online form or by calling (585) 285-4070 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Rochester
Every truck accident case is different. However, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have identified several common causes of truck collisions in their Large Truck Crash Causation Study. These include:
- A driver falling asleep or being physically impaired through a health issue such as a heart attack or seizure
- Prescription or over-the-counter drug use
- Inattentive or distracted driving
- Driver panic or overcompensating
- Speeding or driving too fast for the road conditions
- Equipment failure, such as tire and brake problems
- Following other vehicles too closely or tailgating
- Unfamiliarity with the road or problematic road conditions
- Construction Site Miscommunication or Poor Signage
- Traffic flow interruption, such as congestion from another crash
- Reckless Motorcycle Drivers
To determine what caused your crash and who should be held liable for compensating you, the skilled Rochester truck accident lawyers at Belluck & Fox will launch a thorough investigation into your collision, including obtaining information from the vehicle’s data recorder and the trucker’s logs.
Common Types of Trucks Involved in Accidents in Rochester
At Belluck & Fox, our seasoned Rochester truck accident attorneys know that the type and size of the truck matters in a collision. So does the load it carries. For instance:
Tanker trucks have high centers of gravity and significant blind spots. In addition to injuries from the collision itself, victims involved in a wreck with a tanker truck may face health hazards from leaks or spills of toxic loads.
Tractor-trailers (known as 18-wheelers, semi-trailers, semis or big rigs) also have significant blind spots and high centers of gravity. Tractor-trailers typically need 40 percent more time to stop than regular passenger vehicles. Drivers must know how to compensate for weight differences, such as when they are driving without cargo or “bobtailing” without the trailer.
Tow trucks are often a help, not a danger. But tow truck drivers who are improperly trained can pose significant risks, and vehicles that are not secured correctly on tow trucks can break loose and wreak havoc on the road.
Flatbed trucks can lose their loads if cargo is not secured properly, the driver is careless or road conditions are poor.
Garbage and dump trucks operate in residential areas and make frequent stops. Their operation and large blind spots make them risky not only for other drivers but pedestrians and bicyclists as well.
Contact Our Rochester Truck Accident Lawyers for a Free Consultation
When you’ve been involved in a serious truck accident, the last thing you should have to worry about is how to pay medical bills and other expenses. Contact a knowledgeable Rochester truck accident lawyer at Belluck & Fox today at (585) 285-4070 to learn how we can help relieve that pressure and provide you with peace of mind.