For all its pedestrian-friendly areas, Rochester also is a city where pedestrians can find themselves walking in harm’s way. That adage that “pedestrians always have the right of way” does little to protect people against negligent and careless drivers.
For more than 25 years, the experienced Rochester pedestrian accident lawyers at Belluck & Fox have successfully represented people who were needlessly injured and those who lost family members in catastrophic crashes. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a pedestrian traffic crash, our Rochester personal injury law firm can fight for your right to compensation. Here’s how:
- Our tenacious litigators have secured more than $1 billion for our clients and their families. The top-rated personal injury attorneys at Belluck & Fox have earned our firm many professional honors, including recognition in The National Law Journal for Largest Verdicts of the Year, as well as top rankings by Martindale-Hubbell, Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers.
- We’re aggressive in holding negligent parties accountable but show the utmost compassion and respect to our clients. We know that people who have been seriously hurt in pedestrian accidents face intense struggles to heal. That’s why we work hard to shoulder the burden of gathering evidence and pursuing full and fair compensation.
- We conduct in-depth investigations and enlist teams of experts to construct a strong case on your behalf. Our skilled pedestrian accident attorneys in Rochester frequently call upon accident reconstruction specialists, medical experts and financial professionals. These experts help us prove the seriousness of your injuries, the damages you have suffered (and will continue to suffer), and who should be held accountable.
If you have been severely hurt or lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident in Rochester or the surrounding area, please contact us today at (585) 285-4070 to learn how we’ll fight for the justice you deserve. Belluck & Fox works on a contingency-fee basis, which means our attorneys do not charge anything to evaluate your case or start working for you. In fact, you pay us only if and when we recover compensation for you.
If you’re unable to travel, a knowledgeable Rochester pedestrian accident attorney from our firm is available to meet with you in your home, at the hospital or at any other location that is convenient for you.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Our Rochester Lawyers Can Help After a Car and Pedestrian Accident
- 2 How Compensation Works in Rochester Pedestrian Accident Cases
- 3 Damages We Pursue After Pedestrian Accidents in Rochester
- 4 Statute of Limitations on Pedestrian Accident Injury Claims in New York
- 5 Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Rochester
- 6 When a Pedestrian Is Blamed for an Accident
- 7 How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Rochester?
- 8 Contact Our Rochester Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Today for a Free Consultation
How Our Rochester Lawyers Can Help After a Car and Pedestrian Accident
After suffering a serious pedestrian accident injury, you should be focused on healing, not worrying about expenses or arguing with insurance companies or their legal teams. Leave that to the skilled personal injury attorneys at Belluck & Fox.
Trust our top-rated pedestrian accident lawyers in Rochester to look after your rights by:
- Taking on deep-pocketed insurance companies that try to minimize what has happened to you. Insurance company lawyers and insurance adjusters often make lowball settlement offers to accident victims, even when a person clearly has a strong case. Insurance companies also may try to reduce a payout by shifting blame unfairly in your direction. We know the games they play, and we will build a solid strategy to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
- Identifying and pursing all possible compensation sources. In a large city like Rochester, not all pedestrian accidents involve individual drivers. A taxi, a bus or other on-the-job vehicle might be involved. If so, we could pursue compensation from the company or government entity employing that driver. Also, if the vehicle that struck you was unsafe because of a defective or faulty part, we could file a claim against the manufacturer. In addition, we’ll review your insurance policy to determine what coverage is available.
- Thoroughly assessing damages to determine what your full and fair compensation should be. Injuries don’t just go away once the cast comes off or the stitches come out. You might need physical therapy, vocational training — even psychological counseling. More serious injuries from a pedestrian accident can require you to adapt to a whole new quality of life, not to mention deal with lost wages and ongoing pain and suffering.
- Building a strong wrongful death case if the worst occurs. If your loved one has died as the result of a pedestrian traffic crash, you don’t need the added stress of dealing with insurance companies. Our compassionate Rochester wrongful death attorneys will handle your claim with respect and sensitivity.
Schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation today to learn how we can help you and your family after a tragic pedestrian accident. Call us at (585) 285-4070, or fill out our online form to get started.
How Compensation Works in Rochester Pedestrian Accident Cases
If you’ve been hurt in a pedestrian crash in Rochester, you should understand your legal right to compensation. For instance:
- An injured pedestrian can recover lost wages, medical costs and other reasonable expenses from the insurance company of the at-fault motorist or motorists involved, as well as any available supplemental insurance coverage.
- An injured pedestrian also can tap into his or her own auto insurance policy to cover expenses, even though the pedestrian was not in a vehicle. An injured pedestrian also can recoup expenses through the auto insurance policy of a relative who was part of the household at the time of the collision.
- In a situation where tapping into auto insurance isn’t feasible, such as a hit-and-run, where the injured pedestrian does not have access to the motorist’s insurance information, the pedestrian can file a claim with New York State’s Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corp.
- An injured pedestrian also can seek damages from a responsible property owner or government body if public or private infrastructure problems, such as potholes, played a part in the crash.
As you can imagine, filing claims for compensation after a serious pedestrian accident can be extremely complicated. That’s why it’s vital to have an experienced Rochester pedestrian accident attorney on your side.
Contact our savvy legal team at Belluck & Fox today by calling (585) 285-4070 to learn about your legal options and various time limits that may affect your case.
Damages We Pursue After Pedestrian Accidents in Rochester
During your initial no-cost consultation, our Rochester pedestrian accident lawyers will discuss with you the different types of compensation we can pursue in your situation. Depending on your circumstances, here are some options:
- Payment for past and future medical bills related to your injuries
- Compensation for lost wages and diminished future earning capacity
- Awards for any pain and suffering you’ve experienced
- Punitive damages, in cases where the at-fault party showed extreme misconduct or malicious behavior.
We are dedicated to the idea that our clients shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s mistakes. Let us help you demand the compensation you deserve. Call us at (585) 285-4070, or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation today.
Statute of Limitations on Pedestrian Accident Injury Claims in New York
New York State law has a statute of limitations, or time limit, on filing personal injury claims. The standard limit for claims involving car accidents, including pedestrian accidents, is three years for those who suffered a personal injury or two years for crashes involving wrongful death.
However, some circumstances dictate that you have as little as 90 days to file a claim. Insurance companies have other deadlines to meet as well.
That’s why it is imperative to talk to an attorney as soon as possible. Although you might think you have plenty of time to file a claim after a pedestrian traffic crash, it takes time to build a strong case. The longer you wait, evidence can disappear, memories can become fuzzy, and your case can become more difficult to prove.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Rochester
From the time we learned to look both ways to cross the street as children, we have likely heard that drivers must yield to pedestrians. Sadly, we all know that is not what always happens.
Pedestrian accident statistics show the top causes of these types of devastating crashes include:
- Failure to yield
- Driver inattention or driver distraction
- Drivers impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Motor vehicle lane changes
- Reckless Motorcycles
- Inattentive Truck Drivers
- Turning vehicles, particularly left turns
- Pedestrians crossing against traffic signals
When a Pedestrian Is Blamed for an Accident
Drivers are obligated to watch for pedestrians, take action to ensure their safety and yield the right of way, whether that means slowing down or even stopping for a pedestrian crossing the street. Motorists are expected to warn pedestrians of their approach by honking the horn, especially if there’s danger of a collision. Drivers also must be cautious when approaching an area with children or a confused or incapacitated adult in or near the roadway.
Pedestrians have rules to follow, too. They are expected to face traffic while walking along a road and must cross at intersections with the lights and in crosswalks.
Unfortunately, it’s common for a motorist involved in a pedestrian accident to try to blame the pedestrian. In cases involving serious injury, an independent accident investigation is required in order to hold a reckless or careless driver accountable. Our top-ranked legal team at Belluck & Fox can conduct this investigation and advocate for maximum compensation from a negligent driver who has harmed you or a loved one.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Rochester?
At Belluck & Fox, we work on a contingency-fee basis. This means you do not have to pay anything for us to start working on your pedestrian traffic accident claim. We collect legal fees, which would be a percentage of your compensation, only if and when we recover money for you.
Contact Our Rochester Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Today for a Free Consultation
Call us today at (585) 285-4070 to schedule a free evaluation with one of our trusted Rochester personal injury attorneys, or fill out our online form to learn how we can help you and your family in your time of need.
You’re also welcome to visit our office at 160 Linden Oaks Drive, Suite B, Rochester NY 14625. If you’re unable to travel, an experienced Rochester lawyer will meet with you anywhere that is most convenient for you, including at your home or at a hospital.