Woodstock Wrongful Death Lawyers
At Belluck & Fox, our top-rated Woodstock wrongful death lawyers have been widely recognized for their success in recovering maximum compensation for families that have lost loved ones due to negligence. Our savvy legal team has been honored by Best Lawyers, Martindale Hubbell, Super Lawyers and The National Law Journal.
Our compassionate attorneys offer personalized service to each client we meet with, and our legal team is especially sensitive to families who are coping with the unexpected loss of a loved one.
Compassionate Wrongful Death Attorneys in Woodstock – Put Your Trust in Our Team
Table of Contents
- 1 Compassionate Wrongful Death Attorneys in Woodstock – Put Your Trust in Our Team
- 2 What Do You Have to Prove in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- 3 Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in New York?
- 4 Types of Compensation Available in a Wrongful Death Case
- 5 Wrongful Death Statute of Limitations in New York
- 6 Why Choose the Top-Rated Woodstock Wrongful Death Lawyers at Belluck & Fox?
- 7 Common Causes of Wrongful Deaths in NY
- 8 Let Us Get Started on Your Case Today
Unfortunately, even the best New York wrongful death lawyer cannot make your family completely whole again after a tragic loss. However, our experienced legal team will aggressively pursue the full and fair compensation your family needs to financially recover from the death of a loved one. And we will work tirelessly to hold the responsible party accountable.
With more than 25 years of experience, the dedicated NY personal injury attorneys at Belluck & Fox have won more than $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for our clients and their families. We understand the struggles a family faces after a wrongful death, and our team does everything in our power to take as much of the burden off you as possible.
Schedule a free consultation with one of our trusted wrongful death attorneys in Woodstock today. Call (845) 684-4001 or feel free to visit our law office at 52 Laura Lane, Woodstock NY 12498. An attorney can also meet with you at your home ─ whatever is easiest for you.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
Many deaths can feel wrong, robbing a family of precious time that they should have had with a loved one. However, proving a wrongful death claim in New York requires that you can show that someone else’s negligence led to your loved one’s death. You must be able to prove that:
- The defendant acted in a negligent manner.
- That negligence was the cause of the death.
- There are surviving family members who are eligible under state law to recover damages.
- These survivors suffered financial harm as a result of the wrongful death.
In some cases, the at-fault party’s negligence may have led to criminal charges, such as in a fatal crash involving a drunk driver. However, a wrongful death claim is a family’s opportunity to hold the defendant accountable financially in a civil case.
There are so many emotions involved in pursuing a wrongful death claim, and it can seem clear to family members that justice should be served. Unfortunately, these cases can be very complex, so it is crucial to have an experienced Woodstock wrongful death lawyer on your side to fight for your best interests.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in New York?
In New York, the personal representative of the deceased’s estate is appointed by the Surrogate’s Court. This personal representative ─ often a spouse or other family member ─ may bring a wrongful death action. Any compensation recovered in the case would be passed along to the victim’s:
- Surviving spouse
- Other direct relatives (like siblings and parents)
The victim’s estate can also bring a survivorship action to demand additional damages for the pain and suffering the victim experienced before death. These pain and suffering damages are paid to the estate and then distributed to survivors based on the deceased’s will or other legal guidelines.
Types of Compensation Available in a Wrongful Death Case
There are a variety of types of compensation that may be available to family members in a wrongful death claim. These include:
- Costs related to the victim’s funeral and burial
- Medical expenses the victim incurred before death
- Value of income and benefits lost from the time of the fatal injury to the time of death
- Value of lost support and services the victim had provided to loved ones
- Loss of inheritance by surviving children
- Value of the children’s loss of nurturing, guidance and care
At Belluck & Fox, our knowledgeable Woodstock wrongful death attorneys will review the details of your case and explain all your options for pursuing justice for your family member. This may also include pursuing a claim for compensation for the pain and suffering your family member endured before death. In extreme cases involving willful misconduct or criminal actions, our lawyers may seek punitive damages to punish the defendants for their actions.
Schedule a free consultation with our skilled legal team now to talk about how we can help you and your family move forward after a tragedy.
Wrongful Death Statute of Limitations in New York
Every state places its own time limit on how long you have to file a wrongful death claim after losing a loved one. This time limit is known as the statute of limitations.
In New York, you have two years from the date of death to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Exceptions to this rule are very rare, even for children and people who are not physically or mentally capable of filing a claim.
Why Choose the Top-Rated Woodstock Wrongful Death Lawyers at Belluck & Fox?
- Excellent wrongful death attorneys with a reputation for providing top-quality legal representation
- Committed to fighting for the best outcome for families who have lost loved ones in wrongful deaths
- Good connections with expert witnesses who can provide valuable testimony in complicated wrongful death claims
- Highly recommended by former clients and legal professionals
Common Causes of Wrongful Deaths in NY
Over the years, our team has handled wrongful death claims arising from a variety of situations. Some of the most common wrongful death cases our law firm handles involve:
- Dangerous conditions at a store or other property
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
- Workplace accidents and occupational illnesses such as mesothelioma
- Auto accidents
- Dangerous or defective products
- Vicious criminal acts
If you are struggling to cope with the unexpected death of a loved one, let us help. The skilled Woodstock wrongful death lawyers at Belluck & Fox can review your case for free and explain your rights.
Let Us Get Started on Your Case Today
For more than 25 years, our Woodstock law firm has helped families get the justice they deserve after a wrongful death. Our legal team is widely recognized for being compassionate and sensitive to our clients’ needs. We are protective of clients’ privacy and work to shield them from insurance companies that may try to pressure or take advantage of them.
Schedule a free consultation today, and learn why families across Woodstock consistently recommend Belluck & Fox for quality legal representation during trying times. Our firm does not charge any fees upfront to work on a wrongful death claim, and we only get paid if we recover money for you.