ABB Lummus Global Inc., Asbestos Litigation & Lawsuits
ABB Lummus Global Inc. and Combustion Engineering, two U.S. subsidiaries of ABB, a large multi-national corporation headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, have been compelled through thousands of lawsuits to pay claims for asbestos exposure brought by ill workers and their families.
ABB’s two U.S. subsidiaries sold boilers and heaters and have set up multi-million-dollar trust funds to settle personal injury claims from people exposed to asbestos through Lummus Global Inc. and Combustion Engineering (CE) products.
As did its former U.S. subsidiaries, ABB’s manufacturing focuses on the needs of power grids and heavy electrical equipment, plus robotics and automation technology. Many ABB Lummus Global and Combustion Engineering products used asbestos to insulate them from heat.
Through the two separate trust funds, which together pay out millions of dollars each year, ABB has acknowledged that exposure to asbestos in the manufacture or use of Lummus Global or CE products has potentially caused malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer, asbestosis, and asbestos-related diseases in innocent people.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma after working in a company with asbestos exposure such as a plant operated by ABB or at one of the hundreds of plants that used the company’s’ equipment, you may be eligible to file for financial compensation from the appropriate trust fund.
The nationally recognized New York mesothelioma attorneys of Belluck & Fox in New York can manage all aspects of filing a claim with the ABB Lummus Global or Combustion Engineering asbestos trusts.
The ABB trusts have complex policies, procedures, and documentation requirements for paying claims for asbestos exposure. It is necessary to meet these requirements in order to obtain a payment. Our experienced attorneys can help you:
- Establish your eligibility for payment
- File a claim with the extensive documentation required
- Defend your claim as it is audited by trust administrators
Our highly skilled mesothelioma attorneys have recovered more than $1 billion so far for victims of asbestos exposure and their families. Contact us today to schedule a free legal consultation. We do not charge fees upfront to initiate and file asbestos claims. We only ask for payment once we have secured compensation for you.
Why ABB Lummus Global Is Paying Asbestos Exposure Claims
Table of Contents
ABB is a worldwide manufacturing conglomerate with roots that date to the late 19th century. The first company that would eventually be a part of ABB manufactured electrical lights and generators. Additional companies combined through mergers, buyouts, takeovers, etc., made motors, generators, steam turbines, boilers, transformers, meters, controls, and other products.
- In 1988, the company became known as ABB with the merger of the Swedish corporation Allmänna Svenska Elektriska Aktiebolaget (ASEA) and the Swiss company Brown, Boveri & Cie (BBC).
- In the 1990s, ABB created a U.S. subsidiary, ABB Lummus Global, for development of process technology for the petrochemical and oil and gas industries. It also acquired Combustion Engineering, a U.S. manufacturer of boilers.
- By 2003, asbestos-related personal injury claims forced Combustion Engineering into bankruptcy. Under the bankruptcy court’s ruling, Combustion Engineering’s case became one of the first “pre-packaged” bankruptcy cases, meaning it was filed after asbestos claimants had already voted in favor of the company’s payment plan.
- In April 2006, the company filed a separate asbestos-related pre-packaged Plan of Reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
- Today ABB operates in more than 100 countries and employs about 136,000 people.
Like many manufacturers, ABB Lummus Group and Combustion Engineering used asbestos in boilers, electrical components and other products that were expected to be subjected to heat in routine use. They did this despite the fact that asbestos has been a known carcinogen since the early 20th century.
Indeed, it is understood that even through a one-time exposure, an individual can inhale tiny silicate-particle strands that make up asbestos fibers and develop a life-long risk of asbestos-related disease, such as mesothelioma or lung cancer.
As a result, all asbestos personal injury claims related to the operations of Combustion Engineering or ABB Lummus Global must be channeled to the specially created personal injury trusts:
- The ABB Lummus Global Inc. 524(g) Asbestos PI Trust
- The Combustion Engineering 524(g) Asbestos PI Trust
ABB said it would allocate $232 million to the ABB Lummus trust fund derived from the sale of ABB Lummus Global assets. The company has also committed cash and other assets worth approximately $1.43 billion to pay settled asbestos claims against Combustion Engineering.
Job Sites in New York that Used ABB Lummus Global Asbestos Products
There are two categories of asbestos-exposure claims under the ABB Lummus Global Trust: those that relate specifically to feedwater heater installations and claims pertaining to “non-feedwater job sites.”
A feedwater heater is a power plant component used to pre-heat water delivered to a steam-generating boiler. ABB Lummus Global made these components using asbestos insulation and sold them to hundreds of power plants and other sites in 38 U.S. states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, and several foreign countries.
Documented feedwater heater installation sites in New York include:
- Consolidation Edison Co. NY Inc. in Astoria, Queens, N.Y.
- New York Southern Electric & Gas Corp. in Bainbridge, N.Y.
- Consolidated Edison Co. at Hunts Point, in the Bronx, N.Y.
- Central Hudson Gas & Electric Co. in Danskammer Point, N.Y.
- New York State Electric & Gas Corp. in Dresden, N.Y.
- Consolidation Edison Co. NY Inc. in East River, N.Y.
- CIA Colombiana de Electricidad in New York City
- Niagara-Mohawk Power Corp. in Oswego, N.Y.
- Rochester Gas & Electric Corp. in Rochester, N.Y.
- Rochester Gas & Electric Corp.’s Russell Station site in Rochester, N.Y.
- Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corp. Danskammer Point Steam Station in Roseton, N.Y.
- General Electric Co. in Schenectady, N.Y.
Also, an ABB Lummus Global feedwater heater was in use at the Eastman Kodak Company Kodak Park Works in Rochester, N.Y.
Additional non-feedwater job sites, at which other ABB Lummus Global products containing asbestos were used, include hundreds more locations across the country. New York sites include:
- Agway Inc. in Olean, N.Y.
- Allied Chemical Corp. in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Ashland Oil in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Brookhaven National Labs in Upton, N.Y.
- Brooklyn Union Gas Company in Greenpoint, N.Y.
- GAF Corporation in Binghamton, N.Y.
- Nepera Chemical Company in Harriman, N.Y.
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in New York City
- Socony Mobile Oil Co. in Buffalo, N.Y.
Anyone who worked at one of the above sites, which are approved for claims against the ABB Lummus Global asbestos payments trust, may have been exposed to asbestos.
Anyone who worked in a plant where ABB Lummus Global products were manufactured was likely exposed to asbestos as well.
Spouses and children of workers exposed to asbestos fibers were also at risk because asbestos fibers on a plant worker’s clothing, shoes, or hair could have been brought home.
Job Sites in New York that Used Combustion Engineering Boilers
Combustion Engineering manufactured boilers for thousands of land-based locations across the United States, as well as for hundreds of ships and shipyards.
The Combustion Engineering Personal Injury Trust warns that workers may have been exposed to asbestos while installing, maintaining, repairing, or removing boilers at the following New York job sites:
|ALBANY MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL||ALBANY|
|BEVERWYCK BREWERIES INC (A/K/A SCHAEFFER BREWERY)||ALBANY|
|BUILDING MAINTENANCE FOREMAN (ALBANY MAIN TELEPHONE BLDG.)||ALBANY|
|WASSAIC STATE SCHOOL||AMENIA|
|FIBER GLASS INDUS INC||AMSTERDAM|
|MOHAWK CARPET MILLS INC – MCCLEARY DIVISION||AMSTERDAM|
|CONSOLIDATED EDISON CO OF NY INC – ASTORIA (20TH AVENUE & 21ST STREET)||ASTORIA|
|NEW YORK STATE ELECTRIC & GAS CORP – JENNISON (BAINBRIDGE STEAM PLANT)||BAINBRIDGE|
|U.S. VETERANS ADMINISTRATION CENTER||BATH|
|LONG ISLAND LIGHTING COMPANY||BAYSHORE|
|BOISE CASCADE SPEC PAPERBOARD DIV||BEAVER FALLS|
|ANSCO (DIV OF GEN. ANILIN & FILM)||BINGHAMTON|
|STATE OF NEW YORK (A/K/A BINGHAMTON STATE HOSPITAL)||BINGHAMTON|
|ST. JOSEPHS ACADEMY||BRENTWOOD|
|BRONX COUNTY COURTHOUSE (MOTT AVENUE & E. 161 STREET)||BRONX|
|CITY OF NY DGS – PUBLIC STRUCTURE||BRONX|
|CONSOLIDATED EDISON CO OF NY INC – HUNTS POINT (HUNTS POINT AVE & EAST RIVER)||BRONX|
|LIEBMANN BREWERIES INC||BRONX|
|AUSTIN NICHOLS COMPANY||BROOKLYN|
|BROOKLYN CENTRAL COURT HOUSE – SCHERMERHORN SMITH & STATE STREETS||BROOKLYN|
|BROOKLYN EDISON CO||BROOKLYN|
|BROOKLYN HOME FOR CONSUMPTIVES||BROOKLYN|
|BROOKLYN MUNICIPAL BUILDING||BROOKLYN|
|BROOKLYN POLYTECH INST (A/K/A AMERICAN SAFETY RAZOR)||BROOKLYN|
|BROOKLYN STATE HOSPITAL||BROOKLYN|
|BROOKLYN THOR HOSPITAL||BROOKLYN|
|BROOKLYN UNION GAS CO||BROOKLYN|
|BUSH TERMINAL ASSOCIATES||BROOKLYN|
|CITY OF BROOKLYN||BROOKLYN|
|CONSOLIDATED EDISON CO – HUDSON AVE (1-11 HUDSON AVE.)||BROOKLYN|
|CONSOLIDATED EDISON CO OF NY INC – KENT AVE POWER PLANT (NY TRANSIT AUTHORITY)||BROOKLYN|
|COURTER & CO. (A/K/A TWIN PINES VILLAGE INC.)||BROOKLYN|
|JEWISH CHRONIC DISEASE HOSPITAL (EAST 49TH ST & RUTLAND RD)||BROOKLYN|
|JOSEPH SCHLITZ BREWING CO||BROOKLYN|
|KINGS COUNTY HOSPITAL||BROOKLYN|
|KNOX HAT COMPANY INC||BROOKLYN|
|MANHATTAN BOILER & EQUIPMENT CO||BROOKLYN|
|NATIONAL DYE WORKS INC||BROOKLYN|
|NEW YORK NAVAL YARD / BROOKLYN NAVAL YARD||BROOKLYN|
|NEW YORK QUININE & CHEMICAL COMPANY||BROOKLYN|
|NEW YORK RAPID TRANSIT CORP||BROOKLYN|
|NEW YORK STATE MEDICAL CENTER (BASIC SCIENCES BLDG. – CLARKSON & BROOKLYN AVENUES)||BROOKLYN|
|NEW YORK TELEPHONE CO – BROOKLYN TELEPHONE BLDG.; 101 WILLOUGHBY STREET||BROOKLYN|
|PFIZER INC (A/K/A CHARLES PFIZER & CO)||BROOKLYN|
|STATE SUPREME COURT BUILDING – JOHNSON, ADAMS, FULTON & WASHINGTON STREETS||BROOKLYN|
|STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK – DOWNSTATE MEDICAL CENTER||BROOK|